Candling Parakeet Eggs! *UPDATE*

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
Hey guys! I'm back to update you on how the Parakeet eggs are doing(that our female Parakeet, Carla, laid about a week ago). No pics right now, sorry.
smile.png

The eggs are doing good so far. Carla is sitting on them still, while her mate, Stormy, is caring for her. She now has 4 eggs. She used to have 5, but we threw one out because it had a dent in it and would make Carla have to work more. Before we threw it out, we cracked it open to see if anything had formed. All there was was yolk, and some blood. I'm guessing the bacteria that got into the dent in the shell killed the embryo or something...?
Oh well. 4 eggs is plenty!
smile.png

So I candled some of the remaining 4 eggs. They all looked like they were developing nicely, and Carla is doing her job very well. And this is her first try at being a mother! She's doing very well at keeping the eggs warm all the time, and Stormy is doing well with feeding her and taking care of her and the eggs.
When I candled the eggs, I could see some veins, the air bubble, and a dark shadow(must be the yolk/chick forming). It is much like a chicken egg, but smaller.
big_smile.png

I will definitely take some pictures of the babies when they hatch, which will be around the next week or so.
We are all very excited! It's gonna be anew adventure for us, as well as Carla and Stormy! We have never hatched baby Parakeets before.
woot.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
fl.gif
We are hoping that all or at least most of the eggs hatch!
fl.gif
celebrate.gif

Thanks for reading and I will keep posting updates!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom