Candling Q about Air Sac

coffeemama

Barista Queen
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Oregono
When I candled at day 7, there were some eggs that didn't even look like they had an air sac. I assume this means they are bad? Also, I had one that was bubbling-that really doesn't seem good. Is is ok to candle again in a few days and just leave the good ones alone? I marked the ones that were good with
smile.png
faces. I marked the ones I was prtty sure were bad with
sad.png
and I left some blank if I wasn't very sure.

do you see any of hte veiny things? if you do i would leave them all alone. you never really know. i would wait a couple of days and candle again to check for progress. make sure you let me know in a couple of days how its going. im sure everything is fine

I don't toss an egg before day 14 unless it's weeping or smells. I tossed one I thought was bad back when I first started hatching and it had a live chick in it. Now I wait because I don't want to do that again.

Yeah, I don't want to toss any live chicks! I know the eggs aren't all good, but no smells or weeping yet. They are dark eggs though, and in some of them it's really hard to see anything!

I had the same issues with some of mine, especially the Ameracaunas. I did my best to circle the air pocket on every egg I could. I'll check and see if it grew or moved tomorrow when I candle again. Only on the very thinnest/lightest eggs could I see shadows that looked like veining.

I'm glad you asked this question, because I have some that seemed to have no air pocket at all. Am thinking I should trash those tonorrow...

We're going to crack open every discard to see what we learn about what went wrong. I know for sure we have one that's forming a blood ring (I did some sneak candling last night). I'm real curious to see what that one looks like inside.

Can't take any credit for the idea; I read it somewhere on here! Since my 12-year old DD is helping me chart our progress, I REALLY want to make sure we don't throw anything away unless it needs it.

We're going to take pictures of what we examine for a future science project. That's why we're taking really good notes plus pics. She hates science, so I'm hoping this leads her in a more positive direction.
But it's also our first time doing this, so I'm really afraid we'll screw up and not end up with ANY babies!!

Yeah it's my first time too (can you tell-lol). I just want to end up with at least 2 babies-I put in 23 eggs-I should be able to get 2, right?! LOL

Quote:
I sure hope so, cause I put in 44, and have 6 promised to other people as well as wanting a couple of my own!!
Since I'm a newbie I was figuring 10-25% at LEAST. DH is not happy about this project and is thinking I'll get 80-90% due to beginners luck and to torture him
lau.gif
He doesn't think it's funny when I say "Gee I hope you're right!"

Based on our first candling, I think I'm at around 50%. I could live with that!! But due to the one I saw with a ring, I'm thinking I may've lost some definites. I'm hoping the maybe's pick up that slack!

Back
Top Bottom