Candling question, again...

Well, I think I lost every last egg.
sad.png
I woke up late yesterday morning, saw that the temp had gone down a little, so I turned it up and, like an idiot, forgot to tell hubby. I get home to a bator that's up at 106. I'm going to give them until day 20, then they'll be tossed, but, it's not looking good in the least. I can't wait to get the new incubators.

Sorry! Don't you just hate it when it seems like you are talking to yourself?

I haven't hatched quail that much, so I'm no help on the size of the embryo on what day and all that. I also don't know of any sites that have development pics of quail eggs.

How long was your temp that high? It might not have hurt them, unless it was that high for a very long time! Is your bator still or forced air?

Lol. Yeah, I was chatting with myself, but I figured that maybe someone would come along eventually and answer.
The ones that weren't big blotches, they all seem to have died in earlier stages. They never got any bigger than what they showed on the original candling. The other ones were nice and dark, but, well, now with my idiocy, they're probably dead anyways.
sad.png

If nobody else does it first, I'll probably attempt to make a guide once I get new eggs in. Then, if any stop developing, I'll try to get pics of the embryos and an estimate of how old they were.

The bator is a still air homemade, and I'm not sure how long they were like that. I know that I was gone for a good 8 hours, and when I returned home, it took awhile to get it down (despite literally popping the top and airing it out). I'm not holding my breath on these guys, but I won't erase the huge happy "HATCH!" on my whiteboard calendar just yet either.

Last edited:
awh im so sorry about the temp spike
hugs.gif
!!!! That's deffinatly no fun at all when it happens, but just be pacient youcould get lucky!I know many who have!!!!!!

As for that smell you mentioned...if it's GROSS, like if you smelled it and almost made you make this face
sickbyc.gif
LOL then its probably a bad egg. If it's sort of like a wet chicken smell, but lighter and musty smelling I'd say that's normal egg smell...that's what I consider the smell in my bator to be like but no where near as strong as a wet chicken LOL!

I smelled rotten coturnix eggs...it's very gross....I didnt gag but i could have if it was just a little bit stronger....its a smell you definatly dotn want left on your fingers lol! Rotten chicken eggs are way worse understandably.

A quail egg chart would be great, but they're so hard to see into and every egg is different it may be hard but it would be neat to see!!!!

As for developmental stages, i have eggs due on sunday if any dont hatch i'll open em up for future reference
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom