Candling question

kaythlin

Chirping
Oct 28, 2017
So when you candle the eggs and see the airsac does that mean it's fertile?
If it does not have an airsac is it not firtile or does every egg just get an airsac :jumpy
Or do the aisac have nothing to do with fertility.

Extra question
So can someone give baby chicks to a hen? For her to raise I have this one hen she is a very good behaved chicken and was sitting on her eggs a tiny bit but not to much. I took her eggs and I am incubating them so can I give them to her back once they hatch?

Last edited:
All eggs have an air sac, all eggs’ air sacs get bigger. You can monitor fertile eggs’ air sacs throughout incubation to ensure it’s growing at the right rate, this is a common practice for dark eggs. During candling, you are looking beneath the air sac for the developing chick. I’d best describe it as a bean with red strings, the older it gets, the bigger it gets, you can see eyes, feet...
Unless your hen is broody at this time, you shouldn’t give her the chicks. If she has been broody for at least two weeks, you could try but it is not guaranteed to work.

I would suggest raising the chicks yourself. She didn't want to sit on the eggs, so she must not be very broody. She might not care to keep them warm, but I'm not entirely sure.

What is the climate like where you live?

I would suggest raising the chicks yourself. She didn't want to sit on the eggs, so she must not be very broody. She might not care to keep them warm, but I'm not entirely sure.

What is the climate like where you live?
Currently it's been very rainy cold nights but if it's not raining days are usually warm and nights are cold. But it's getting warmer and warmer by the day I live in the desert

You can only begin to see this happening as featheredplanets mentioned on the 10th day. This is when you should do your first cull. Culling any clears ( infertile ) eggs, eggs with blood rings ( when the veins develop in a horizontal ring just under the air sac ) and quitters ( dead eggs ). Do this same process on the 18th day just before lockdown and you'll be good to go. It may be a good idea to add any water at this time also.

08CEBB5F-38A2-43AE-82E2-9A270A2F1213.jpeg

For reference, these are 5 days old. The egg on the left is darker, but fertile, the egg in the right is white and fertile.

Back
Top Bottom