candling turkey eggs

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by MarDav, May 9, 2009.

1. MarDav

MarDav New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Does anyone have suggestions on this? Can you candle eggs soon after they are laid to see if they are fertile? About how many turkey eggs does a hen lay before she sits to hatch them?
    Thank you!

2. CritterBazaar

CritterBazaar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Fort Wayne IN
    Yes you can candle turkey eggs. My hens will lay upto 13 sometimes before they will set. Most of the time around 6-8. When they get broody they are not picky about what they set on. I have one on Turkey and Peacock eggs, and one who decided the Goose nest looked good.

3. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    You'll have to wait around 7 - 10 days of incubation to get a good conformation on fertility or not when candling.

4. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    The best way to see if an egg is fertile is to crack one open and look for the "bull-eyes". Also if you know what you are looking for you can candle sooner then 7 days.
    Either way good luck. Each hen is different as far as how many eggs she will lay before she starts sitting.
    Sharon

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Not to toot my own horn but if you have a good candling light and know what to look for you can candle light eggs at 3 days [​IMG] Now trying to explain what you will see on a developing egg at three days is a lil hard to explain... but you'll notice development and by day 4-5 you start seeing veining (least in my experience) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by