Candling/turkey eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aclee, May 16, 2010.

1. aclee

aclee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Amesbury, MA
    I have 8 eggs in the bator right now. I candled them all tonight. I could only see one chicken egg for sure had veining, I wasn't sure on one other chicken egg, and on one turkey egg. The chicken and turkey eggs went in 1 week ago. Would veining be totally obvious at this point or should I leave them all for another few days or even till lock down and check them then? I'm only candling with a flash light so I'm not even sure it's bright enough to see through the turkey or the brown chicken eggs...

Thanks!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

What day are you on?

3. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    I've done my fair share of candling and I think turkey eggs are tricky! Usually I can only tell after day 9 or so. I think you should give it a couple of days and then try again because it is not always obvious before then. Good luck with the hatch [​IMG]

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    With turkey eggs we find it best to wait until day ten before candling as it's very hard to see anything for sure earlier than that.

Much the same with any of the darker shell colors. The lighter or thinner the shell the sooner you can start.

5. aclee

aclee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Amesbury, MA
    so it makes perfect sense that on day 7 I could only see development in the lone white egg of the group? All the rest were brown chicken, or turkey eggs [​IMG]

6. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:yes, it does! By day 10 you'll be able to tell with all your eggs the developing ones from the clears.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by