Candling with a torch?

Red

Songster
12 Years
Mar 17, 2007
Right, i just wondered how important candling is? Do people candle eggs because it's really cool to see the chicks developing, or is it for safety reasons...like to take an egg out to stop it exploding or something?

Last time we were hatching eggs under a broody, we candled the eggs with a torch. We cupped our hands round the light and balanced the egg on top to candle, and my dad thinks that it may have damaged some of the eggs and cooked them...? Would this be possible in such a short space of time?? We don't have a 'proper' candler or anything, but don't want to risk frying the eggs! And of course we don't really want any eggs exploding in the bator either...
roll.png

So is it possible for a torch/flashlight to hurt the chicks in the eggs? And is it really important to candle eggs? It's day 7 today and i'd quite like to see if anything is happening inside...

I hope this makes sense, thankyou in advance
big_smile.png

You scared me-here I am thinking BLOWTORCH, LOL! Of course, that would cook the eggs! Anything that puts off intense heat can damage delicate blood vessels in a developing egg. I'm not sure how hot that torch of yours gets. You just candle to be sure they're fertile and growing and to remove dead embryos so they dont seep or blow up in the bator.

I think he means torch as in UK/Aussie word for what we call a flashlight in US.

I've used a flashlight and a egg candler. My candler does get pretty hot, but for no longer than it takes to peek to see veining or movement I can't imagine it would hurt the chick.

Candling is not really necessary. It's not like it changes anything - ie makes a clear egg start to develop, lol. Just gives us impatient hatchers something to do to make us feel like time is passing
tongue.png

Yeah, I saw later in the post the "torch/flashlight" and then I knew it wasn't a stream of FIRE, LOL. You don't have to candle, but I'd use your nose and sniff daily to see if any eggs are going bad. I like to candle at least once to reassure myself that all is going well.

Mainly it is cool to see to get an idea of fertility, and is good to do IF you smell something funky. Other than that... it's not really necessary.

I use a high powered LED light so it doesn't get that hot.

I understood!
big_smile.png

I candled because this is my first ever incubation experience, plus I was paranoid that I was doing something wrong and would kill the developing embryos, etc... Anyways, I used a mini maglight. The heat didn't appear to hurt anything because the eggs are now on day 19 and still viable (if I can just not screw up now, they'll hatch for me!)
fl.gif

with the heat thing, if the flashlight surface feels warm to you its fine, if it feels hot it might be better to keep it a distance away (using the cupping hands thing might work) or get a cooler flashlight!

the eggs are being incubated at near body temperature, a mildly warm flashlight wont be much warmer than that.

Thankyou for all the replies everybody
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

I didn't think until afterwards that the word torch might confuse people lol...haha at the idea of me using a blowtorch
lol.png

Alright so if any eggs are gonna explode or something they should smell? That's good to know! I'll show my dad this post tonight and hopefully he'll let me candle the eggs
smile.png

ChickenGurl, i hope your eggs hatch okay and you get some lovely fluffy chicks
fl.gif

Thanks again everybody!

Back
Top Bottom