1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by champers44, Feb 22, 2016.

1. champers44

champers44 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016
    So it has been one week since I put some eggs in and I candled a few to see if there was anything and out of about 5 only one looked to be infertile..the problem is I left the top of the incubator off for about 5 minutes? Will this affect up the eggs at all because the temperature dropped?

2. murphyfarm

murphyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2016
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nope. I'm sure it will be fine. The eggs can stay at the right temperature for around 15- 20 mins after taking the incubator lid off. Good luck with your hatch!!

3. Clearly

Clearly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2015
    Seattle Suburb
    Hi!!! :D

My very first time incubating, I freaked out over things like this as well. Then I had a hen raise eggs, and while I admired her diligence and determination, she was off her eggs for up to an hour at a time at points in a rather cold basement room I'd set up with a heat lamp, and every egg hatched without issue.

It's so hard being a first timer. But your eggs are fine. As for the infertile egg, give it to day 14 IMO. I had some slow starters, and if there's no crack, it's not going to hurt anything.

Good luck!!!!

4. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Think about momma hen. They are usually the best incubators. But during a 21 day incubation...sometimes a bit longer if they continue to sit on late eggs, they need to get up every day to eat, drink, and poop. When I watch my broodies they get up and take care of their business, and I even find them out in the yard scratching around for a bit. It was not uncommon to see them off the nest for 20 minutes or more at a time. There have even been some studies that have come out that allowing for a cooling period every day will actually help increase the hatch rate. (I cannot remember off the top of my head, and if you are super curious I am sure that you can Google to find the answer, I think it was a relatively small number... something like 1 additional hatch out of 50?! For some reason that number sticks in my head.) Some of the newer/more expensive incubators are actually programmed for a cooling period every day.

Also keep in mind that you are attempting to keep the core temp of the egg up. Just like it takes a while for your incubator to get up to the correct temp when you are placing your eggs, it will take a while for your core temp to drop. I am sure that you noticed when you closed your bator back up the temp recovered much quicker than when you placed your eggs for the first time.

Being a newbie is hard. There are so many "rules". So much to remember. So much that can go wrong. But sometimes we are our own worst enemies. We can (and I did) worry ourselves sick. Try to take a deep breath and enjoy the process!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by