Candling

MountainChickenMama

Songster
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
So...I set my eggs at 945pm on March 8th...I candled 2 times yesterday (morning and night) and then I candled one egg only tonight....Is that really really really bad?? I know they say candling too much can harm eggs. I don't plan on touching them again till Thursday night which will be Day 7.....

I didn't see much yesterday morning which is why i candled again last night (I did some some veins I think in all of them) and then tonight I just checked one white egg and the veins are doing fantastic, saw the heart beat last night and tonight, and I also think I saw some movement as well....

You're probably fine, but it is best to touch them as little as possible. Make sure you are washing you hands at least to reduce the amount of bacteria and oil you are introducing to the surface of the egg.

Some people candle every day and are fine. Then, there are the times when eggs are accidentally dropped while candling. It's a gamble, but you will probably be just fine.

As fun as it is, I try to only candle on day 5 or 7, 14, and right before lockdown to avoid taking a chance damaging the eggs. The less they're handled the better. Find some good pictures of candled eggs to look at instead. (I know, I know, it's just not the same. It's so cool to see the development!)

You should be fine. Yes, candling to much can harm the eggs, but two times a day is just fine. I have candled mine up to three times a day, and they are fine. Good Luck! Hope you have a good hatch!

That would be horrible dropping I mean... Last year I was really bummed the chick was complete feathered and died in the egg it never pipped :( I wonder why that happens.

Do I need an egg turner or turn daily?
either one will work but if you hand turn then you need to do it at least 3 times a day.

As fun as it is, I try to only candle on day 5 or 7, 14, and right before lockdown to avoid taking a chance damaging the eggs. The less they're handled the better. Find some good pictures of candled eggs to look at instead. (I know, I know, it's just not the same. It's so cool to see the development!)

I don't candle mine until day 18.

Back
Top Bottom