Canker/fowl pox/cancer worsening despite treatment - what to do

Frizzlelove

Hatching
Nov 22, 2021
Bantam Cochin, 5 y/o became emaciated and couldn’t eat in early December. We isolated her, took her to vet, and at first diagnosed with canker. Ronidazole treatment seemed to work at first but the plaques returned - disgusting smell making canker seem likely. 4 vet visits later, a month inside the house, and daily tube feedings, this little girl is only getting worse. She’s had her throat debrided 4x at vet, antifungal drops and an antibiotic shot. She still seems to have the will to live but cannot eat on her own at all now. Tries to eat and shakes head, spits out whatever it is so the tube feeding is keeping her alive. On the last visit the vet said it could possibly be wet fowl pox, not canker.

I’m honestly at my wits end. A biopsy is $300 and no treatment if it’s actual cancer. I can stop tubing her and I’m sure she will die, but I don’t know if I have the heart to do that. I’m almost embarrassed to take her back to the vet a 5th time. Anybody ever dealt with anything like this? I could really use some thoughts or advice if you have some to share. 😓

Bantam Cochin, 5 y/o became emaciated and couldn’t eat in early December. We isolated her, took her to vet, and at first diagnosed with canker. Ronidazole treatment seemed to work at first but the plaques returned - disgusting smell making canker seem likely. 4 vet visits later, a month inside the house, and daily tube feedings, this little girl is only getting worse. She’s had her throat debrided 4x at vet, antifungal drops and an antibiotic shot. She still seems to have the will to live but cannot eat on her own at all now. Tries to eat and shakes head, spits out whatever it is so the tube feeding is keeping her alive. On the last visit the vet said it could possibly be wet fowl pox, not canker.

I’m honestly at my wits end. A biopsy is $300 and no treatment if it’s actual cancer. I can stop tubing her and I’m sure she will die, but I don’t know if I have the heart to do that. I’m almost embarrassed to take her back to the vet a 5th time. Anybody ever dealt with anything like this? I could really use some thoughts or advice if you have some to share. 😓
I am sorry that all your dedication and the treatments did not help in the end. Sadly, there is no advice I can give to make her better. :hugs

If she were mine, I would end her suffering.

Last edited:
The tough thing is that she still wants to eat, just can’t (she attempts). She also “talks” back when we talk to her. So I’m not sure if she has really lost her will to live or if there is a chance she could still get better. I’ve let many chickens pass away so it’s not like I’m afraid of that, this situation is just confusing. I also can’t bring myself to kill chickens so I would need to have her euthanized. Ugh, it’s just so hard making that decision.

The tough thing is that she still wants to eat, just can’t (she attempts). She also “talks” back when we talk to her. So I’m not sure if she has really lost her will to live or if there is a chance she could still get better. I’ve let many chickens pass away so it’s not like I’m afraid of that, this situation is just confusing. I also can’t bring myself to kill chickens so I would need to have her euthanized. Ugh, it’s just so hard making that decision.
Had a chicken with fowl pox die she had a like a piece it was white forgot if it smelled or not her eyelid swole and couldn’t see she barely moved she sunbathed though. She didn’t eat anything only we could get her to eat was cooked noodle and some electrolyte water. And we couldn’t keep going so I asked my mom to kill her since I couldn’t know what to do for her. If it’s canker could use FishZole metronidazole had chickens with canker but not severe and it seemed to work months later and their mouths are clean or if it’s oral thrush get nystatin.

Back
Top Bottom