Canker or fowl pox?

Kawkawkaye

Songster
Nov 23, 2017
Kimberley, Western Australia
Hello, does anyone have any insight as to what I may be dealing with here and how to treat?
There is black around the mouth area and the nose cavity is filled with a white mass. First seen 2 weeks ago, has since been isolated.
Age is unknown. Healthy weight, regular layer. Breath smells fine (I read somewhere that canker smells?). No signs of pox anywhere else in the flock.

Attachments

• 1967028B-F738-40CA-B059-9B147616ABFB.png
    1967028B-F738-40CA-B059-9B147616ABFB.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • B25DD4C6-596C-4C69-A849-8D828D9F7230.png
    B25DD4C6-596C-4C69-A849-8D828D9F7230.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Can you take a picture of inside the beak? Is there any sign of a respiratory disease or sinus infection? Is the nostril enlarged? Nasal canker or a blockage of feed and mucus could be possible. A mass or tumor could be possible if the beak is enlarged. Can you get a clearer picture of his face? The pictures are not clear enough to see if there is any pox. A vet would be best to help you diagnose something like this.

Can you take a picture of inside the beak? Is there any sign of a respiratory disease or sinus infection? Is the nostril enlarged? Nasal canker or a blockage of feed and mucus could be possible. A mass or tumor could be possible if the beak is enlarged. Can you get a clearer picture of his face? The pictures are not clear enough to see if there is any pox. A vet would be best to help you diagnose something like this.
Thank you for your reply. I was able to get a clearer picture today, and managed to catch and assess her. She’s actually a friend’s hen so I don’t see her often.
The inside of the mouth is completely clear of any infection. No pus anywhere, including down the throat and the top of the mouth.
The black around her mouth I feared to be pox hasn’t changed at all, so I’m no longer thinking pox, as I’d expect it to have progressed by now (three weeks since I first noticed).
I had a go at prodding the mass, and it felt very solid and dry and cemented in there.
Unfortunately I don’t have access to a poultry vet.

Attachments

• 90A9C01B-2ADE-4E35-9B62-CC23D2AD57C5.jpeg
    90A9C01B-2ADE-4E35-9B62-CC23D2AD57C5.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 12
Yes, have them clean out the nostril. It may be caked with old feed, mucus, and dirt. It can turn into a concrete-like consistency. Wooden QTips with hydrogen peroxide to soften the gunk for several minutes, and several sessions may help. I would also try to clean off the brown material around the left side of the beak. Pictures I have seen of canker can have that appearance. Usually though, there is some gunky material just inside the same side of the beak.

Back
Top Bottom