Canker Treatment Suggestions??

PankakeZillA

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2023
Paisley, FL
Hi all,

My poor flock can't catch a break it seems. šŸ˜­ One of my Easter Eggers, Cocoa, has seemed to develop canker. Thankfully I caught it pretty early compared to some of the other pictures I've seen of canker sores in others' birds. She's the only one in the flock with lesions in her mouth. I have her separated from the rest of the flock and just finished a 5-day treatment of 100mg Metronidazole once/day. It definitely seemed to make a difference in her sores as some have turned black and others went away but they are not completely gone. I've also ordered some acidified copper sulfate to add to all of their water sources. Do I continue the Metronidazole until the sores are completely gone? I had read on other posts the treatment is for 5 days but couldn't find much info for after the treatment. I don't have the option for a vet that sees chickens unfortunately, but I'm 99.9% positive it's canker and not fowl pox. I appreciate any help :)

Hi all,

My poor flock can't catch a break it seems. šŸ˜­ One of my Easter Eggers, Cocoa, has seemed to develop canker. Thankfully I caught it pretty early compared to some of the other pictures I've seen of canker sores in others' birds. She's the only one in the flock with lesions in her mouth. I have her separated from the rest of the flock and just finished a 5-day treatment of 100mg Metronidazole once/day. It definitely seemed to make a difference in her sores as some have turned black and others went away but they are not completely gone. I've also ordered some acidified copper sulfate to add to all of their water sources. Do I continue the Metronidazole until the sores are completely gone? I had read on other posts the treatment is for 5 days but couldn't find much info for after the treatment. I don't have the option for a vet that sees chickens unfortunately, but I'm 99.9% positive it's canker and not fowl pox. I appreciate any help :)
I skimmed through this article on canker I found on here, and whilst it is not saying the treatment period of Metronidazole, that is an antibiotic and generally, once you do the recommended course, you don't continue. This may give you some other ideas though. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom