cannibalism

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by team edward, Jul 18, 2010.

1. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    ok i think my chicks are killing each other! how do i fix it?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Going to need more details please, but essentially seperate especially if they are hurt, give them more space, things to hide behind, treats to divert their attention, also make sure they have enough quality feed.

Imp

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Cannibalism is due to your chicks being bored! [​IMG]
    Try a few of these things and see if they don't help:
    Dust Baths: Get a small box or cat litter box and fill it w/ sand .. your chicks will have tons of fun dusting themselves .. plus it'll help keep them happy! [​IMG]
    Fresh Greens: Fresh Greens, such as grass, cabbage or just about anything. [​IMG]
    Or you can hang toys in their brooder to help prevent boredom.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Depends on what age of chickens we are talking about, what gender in some cases, what feed they are getting including treats, and your individual setup. It could be over crowding, too low of protein from feed that isn't age appropriate or too many treats, not enough feed (chickens should be able to eat 24/7 on something), confined space with nothing to do, too many roosters, or it could start with pecking an odd feather or toes with chicks and then moving on to doing more damage. Each of those problems has a different solution which also depends on age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by