Canning help...Broccoli?

great idea to dehydrate the broccoli.

I hope to build a cabinet style, solar dehydrator this summer so I can start dehydrating lots of stuff for the birds winter-time feeding. I have had it with the pale commercial-feed eggs I have been getting. The 5 pumpkins from last fall didn't last very long into the winter...

I have one of the round table-top tray style dehydrators, but I could do so much more if I wasn't limited by tray size and using electricity.

I have several dehydrators, but I find I keep just going back to my oven LOL it seems to do the best and fastest job and it's big enough to do a huge batch of whatever I want to dry, I just said it on his lowest setting which is 170 and go to bed when I wake up they are done. I would like to have a solar dehydrator for my herb garden that's something my husband and I are looking into. Whatever I can't can. I dry.

If I were to come into some free money - maybe find a rich old uncle I don't know about - I am going to buy one of those small freeze dryer's. I have bought some #10 cans of freeze dried fruits/veg and I really like the versatility of that product. I like to make mixes to take camping.

If I were to come into some free money - maybe find a rich old uncle I don't know about - I am going to buy one of those small freeze dryer's. I have bought some #10 cans of freeze dried fruits/veg and I really like the versatility of that product. I like to make mixes to take camping.

I'm kind of enamored with those also. I like the freeze dried products, and being able to do them myself would be wonderful. But they're cost prohibitive at the moment.

I have found the best way to deal with broccoli is to dehydrate it. And when you re-hydrate it, it comes back just as good as when I first picked it. taste is amazing, even the color is nice.. I dehydrate a lot of vegetables. Broccoli is very quick and very easy blanche and dehydrated in my oven on the lowest temp with a door cracked open about an inch and it only takes a few hours.
i couldn't agree more! dehydrated broccoli is the best and i wont make any broccoli soup or casserole with anything else! it just adds the best flavor.
definitely dehydrate some!

After Broccoli, Asparagus is my next favorite thing to dehydrate, You know the ends you break off and toss away, It seemed like so much waste, I know they are not good to eat, kinda woody, well I found if you dehydrate the ends and grind them into a powder they make an amazing cream of asparagus soup! and can be added to other veggie soups as well, I just canned 25 lbs of asparagus and saved all the ends, I had so many to do that I did them all in the oven, and they turned out amazing!

well there are two ways to can broccoli, hot water bath canning or pressure canning,
this year I pressured can broccoli for the first time. they were great.
I cut the broccoli 2 inches, then boiled for three mins exactly.
pack in hot steralized jars, add hot water. i used the water i boiled the broccoli in. fill water 1 inch from the top covering the broccoli.
put 1 tsp canning salt in each jar then put steralized band and lids on finger tight.
process in pressure canner for 30 mins at 10 lbs for pints and for quarts process for 35 minutes at 10 lbs.
take out of canner, let sit over night to cool and seal.
next morning check lids making sure jars are sealed,

Back
Top Bottom