Canola based protein ok?

Carpe DiHen

Songster
9 Years
Feb 4, 2010
El Dorado County, CA
http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/content.detail/id/539679/Canola-pro

What
is this new fangled stuff "Canola based protein?

It is in Rogue organic feed:

Soy-Free Layer Ration

A Certified Organic poultry LAYER ration with added calcium for egg shell quality. Manufactured in a pellet form.

16% Protein: Helps ensure that growth goals can be met… Supplies the proper level of Canola based protein for egg production.

Organic Grains: All-Natural Nutrition… All organic grains are Certified Organic by Washington State Department of Agriculture.

Vitamins & Minerals: Convenience… Supplies vitamins, minerals and other nutrients in the proper amounts. Formulated specially for laying hens.

How to Feed: A vitamin and mineral fortified poultry LAYER ration. Feed at regular times each morning and evening.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein 16.0%

Lysine 0.85%

Methionine 0.49%

Crude Fat 3.00%

Crude Fiber 4.00%

Calcium (minimum) 3.50%

Calcium (maximum) 4.50%

Phosphorus 0.75%

Zinc 35 ppm

Copper 4 ppm

Vitamin A 4500 IU/lb.

Vitamin E 16 IU/lb.

Ingredients: Organic Barley, Organic Wheat, Organic Corn, Organic Grains, Organic Canola, Monocalcium Phosphate, Vitamin Premix Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Niacin, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine, MSBC (Vitamin K), Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E Supplement, Trace Mineralized Salt.

Thanks, good info.

I decided not to buy. I don't use canola oil either, not natural. I don't like the sound of using the left over extrutions for feed. I'll stick with Cascade feed that I get through Azure Standard from OR. You people up north have so much good chicken feed.

I could get your feed at a drop off point in Sacramento, but I hate driving down to the Valley and I think Cascade is pretty natural (though not certified organic).

Have you tried Modesto Mills? They are certified Organic and have both soy-based and canola-based pellets and crumbles. They're widely available in California now.

I can tell you this much about it but this is about it. Sorry not much help
Canola is basically Field Mustard or Rapeseed. Canola stands for Canada oil low acid,

ETA --
Below information found at http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/livestock/beef/baa05s15.html

Canola Forage and Seed

Forage: Although the use of canola meal is well documented, little information is available on the use of whole plant canola. Generally, it can be used as a pasture crop for sheep and cattle. Dairy cows should be given access to canola immediately after milking only, to avoid tainting milk. Forage may cause bloat, so the same precautions should be taken as with alfalfa.
As with any new feed, care should be taken in introducing animals to this feed. Canola pasture contains about the same protein and energy values as alfalfa on a dry matter basis.

Dry Matter Nutrient Content

Pasture
Basis %

%
Dry Matter​
15-20​
100​
Crude Protein​
3​
17​
Crude Fiber​
3​
15​
TDN​
12​
65​
Calcium​
0.25​
1.5​
Phosphorus​
0.07​
0.40​
Frozen canola was baled and fed in the Roblin area during the fall and winter of 1979-80 with apparent good results. Canola can also be ensiled but close attention must be paid to moisture content. Having a moisture content of 65% is critical. Neither canola hay or canola silage is an ideal feed.
Canola straw is extremely low in feeding value. It contains on a dry matter basis 3 to 4 per cent crude protein, and a TDN of about 20 per cent.

Dry Matter Nutrient Content (Seed)
%
Dry Matter​
100​
Crude Protein​
21​
ADF​
12​
TDN​
127​
Fat​
41​
Calcium​
0.44​
Phosphorus​
0.68​
The high fat level in full fat canola limits its use in rations and may present handling problems when grinding, etc. Introduce full fat canola gradually and do not use at more than 10 per cent of the grain ration for dairy and beef cows.
Canola Meal

Canola meal is the product which remains after the oil has been extracted from the canola seed. It is the most common protein supplement fed in Manitoba. Canola meal can be utilized economically and efficiently in rations for all cattle. Canola meal can be compared to SBM on the basis of cost per unit of crude protein.

Dry Matter Nutrient Content
%
Dry Matter​
100​
Crude Protein​
39​
ADF​
19​
TDN​
70​
Fat​
4​
Calcium​
0.7​
Protein​
1.2​

Chris

Last edited:
The problem with Canola is this:

"This and other recent varieties have been produced by using genetic engineering. Currently, 82% of the rapeseed crops planted in Alberta, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan are GM (genetically modified) herbicide-tolerant canola varieties.[16]""Almost all commercial grade canola oil is then refined using hexane. Finally, the crude oil is refined using water precipitation and organic acid, "bleaching" with clay, and deodorizing using steam distillation.[21"

It is very unatural. Doesn't Cold Pressed Olive Oil sound more appealing? IMO
hu.gif

I found a feed store in my area that carries Organic O.H. Kruse and it is grown and manufactured locally. They work with Modesto Milling to get the Organic grains. It comes in pellet form that I really like and my hens seem to like it too. I'm very pleased to find an organic local feed.

http://www.ohkruse.com/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom