Can't catch runner

I have tried nets but actually find it easier to catch my poultry with a laundry basket. I corner them as much as possible then trap them underneath. It makes it easier to be able to find the legs than a net, in my experience.
Do you flip it once you have them under it to be able to pick it up?

I keep them pinned down with the basket and reach under until I can grab legs. Once I have hold of the legs, I can remove basket and get control of wings. I find it funny to notice the difference between how my poultry reacts. The Muscovy don't give up control easily and I need to be ready to pin those large strong wings. My Guinea Fowl just surrender and lie there.

I keep them pinned down with the basket and reach under until I can grab legs. Once I have hold of the legs, I can remove basket and get control of wings. I find it funny to notice the difference between how my poultry reacts. The Muscovy don't give up control easily and I need to be ready to pin those large strong wings. My Guinea Fowl just surrender and lie there.
A few years ago, the empty water bucket in the pen got flipped over by one of my California Grays and she got trapped under the bucket. She could have easily gotten out by just moving but she stayed under it. Poultry are weird.

Catching them in the coop or with a net is what I've done also. I actually used a cheap butterfly net. They ripped the netting but it worked. I'd be worried about using a net with large holes as they could get their necks and legs caught in it.

I built my coop area with separation and capture in mind because I am not agile nor fast enough to chase a duck down. I even bought a long handled hook to catch them by the leg from a short distance. I lean towards letting the birds heal on their own if wounds don't look severe. My drake was attacked by an eagle and had a puncture wound in his neck but chasing him down would cause blood to spurt out so I left him alone, the wound clotted and healed fine. They have a high body temperature that helps fight infection according to a wildlife vet I met on a goose round up in AK.

I built my coop area with separation and capture in mind because I am not agile nor fast enough to chase a duck down. I even bought a long handled hook to catch them by the leg from a short distance. I lean towards letting the birds heal on their own if wounds don't look severe. My drake was attacked by an eagle and had a puncture wound in his neck but chasing him down would cause blood to spurt out so I left him alone, the wound clotted and healed fine. They have a high body temperature that helps fight infection according to a wildlife vet I met on a goose round up in AK.
That's relieving, thank you! Winnie has thankfully done much better now that the rooster has been given to my sister. Her scratches are fading, she's just still got some nasty marks on her bill.

Back
Top Bottom