Can't catch runner

BubbaBubbles

Songster
May 14, 2023
Virginia
Need help figuring out a good way to catch a duck. I've tried cornering, treats, using my jacket, etc. To try and bundle her in. Nothing works, especially with her flock so protective and shielding her. Is there a way to catch her or should I leave her be? It's hard, even with her by herself in the pen.

CONTEXT:
We have a Buff Orpington, the absolute biggest of the entire flock. Despite having 4-5 hens, he ends up mounting the ducks. But especially my Indian Runner, Winnie. She's the weakest and thinnest of the flock, so she's the most vulnerable. Today, I found her with claw marks across the left side of her face and bright pink patches of exposed skin on her neck and under her wings. My sister doesn't have a roo for her hens so I'm going to let her and her Fiance take Sunny (the orpington), that's settled, no doubt. But I still want to try and catch Winnie to at least put some poultry wound healer on her. Is there an easy way to grab her or should I let her be? I just want to do what's best for my baby girl.

Need help figuring out a good way to catch a duck. I've tried cornering, treats, using my jacket, etc. To try and bundle her in. Nothing works, especially with her flock so protective and shielding her. Is there a way to catch her or should I leave her be? It's hard, even with her by herself in the pen.

CONTEXT:
We have a Buff Orpington, the absolute biggest of the entire flock. Despite having 4-5 hens, he ends up mounting the ducks. But especially my Indian Runner, Winnie. She's the weakest and thinnest of the flock, so she's the most vulnerable. Today, I found her with claw marks across the left side of her face and bright pink patches of exposed skin on her neck and under her wings. My sister doesn't have a roo for her hens so I'm going to let her and her Fiance take Sunny (the orpington), that's settled, no doubt. But I still want to try and catch Winnie to at least put some poultry wound healer on her. Is there an easy way to grab her or should I let her be? I just want to do what's best for my baby girl.
Hi! Can you grab her at night?

We catch our ducks by getting them into a small fenced area. Small enough they have no place to run. First we have them in a large fence that they come to every night. Then we chase them to smaller fence and pull it shut behind them. Then we do an even smaller fence. As flock animals any where you chase keep all birds together. Not sure if that helps. Knowing your set up and what fencing is available helps.

Back
Top Bottom