Sneezing Runner Duck?

MolliMonster99

Songster
Jul 22, 2021
Hi everyone!

My almost 3 year old runner duck Hannibal was making a weird sneezing sound today when I let the flock out. They were foraging together and I kept noticing she was making this weird sneezing sound. I picked her up and gave her a check over. She had nothing in her nostrils, nothing stuck in her mouth, her feet were fine and I even checked around her tummy to see if maybe she was egg bound but I couldn't feel anything. She had some water and after a while it did stop, but I'm still concerned. She seems a little quiet, but she has been doing her rapid headbobs and short quacks, she's been foraging, eating, drinking, preening and still mingling with the flock. One of my other runners has just started laying again and I'm thinking maybe she's quiet as she's going to start laying, and the sneezes are totally separate? I'm not too sure, but if anyone could offer some advice I'd be very grateful!

-update-

I have ordered some medicine off Amazon that had some good reviews. It's arriving tomorrow so I will start her on that straight away. Other than that, she is still eating, drinking, preening, foraging and pooping as normal. I will update after a few days of treatment.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

My almost 3 year old runner duck Hannibal was making a weird sneezing sound today when I let the flock out. They were foraging together and I kept noticing she was making this weird sneezing sound. I picked her up and gave her a check over. She had nothing in her nostrils, nothing stuck in her mouth, her feet were fine and I even checked around her tummy to see if maybe she was egg bound but I couldn't feel anything. She had some water and after a while it did stop, but I'm still concerned. She seems a little quiet, but she has been doing her rapid headbobs and short quacks, she's been foraging, eating, drinking, preening and still mingling with the flock. One of my other runners has just started laying again and I'm thinking maybe she's quiet as she's going to start laying, and the sneezes are totally separate? I'm not too sure, but if anyone could offer some advice I'd be very grateful!
Can you post a video of her sneezing?

I have 5 runner ducks and have been through so many respiratory problems with them. All the respiratory infections I've dealt with started with the squeak sneezes and progressed to hoarseness, more sneezing etc. if the vet is an option I would highly recommend it. If not, you can try medicating her and see if she gets better. Baytril works on most bacterial infections. You can order it online. When I've used it on my runners I did .3mL twice a day with an oral syringe. If you need help with this there are some great tutorials here and on other websites.

Per other BYC users' advice, I have recently started using Oxine to keep the duck pen clean, and I have read a lot about how it can be used to treat respiratory infections if caught early. I hope this helps!

So last night she had stopped making the noise. However, the second I let her out of the run to forage on the grass she started up again! She is the only one out of the flock doing this.
Maybe keep an eye on her a couple of days and see how she does. From my experience, it's one bird that gets it at a time, maybe 2. But thankfully I've never had the entire flock sick with respiratory stuff at once.

Keep us posted. And read up on using Oxine! We just got over a rainy period here and I heard a few sneezes. I've been misting the ducks with the Oxine solution a couple times a day and it seems
to have cleared it up 😊

Back
Top Bottom