Can't decide!

birdlover

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Northern Va.
I bought a very small coop so that I would be forced to only get a few birds. I think two standard size or four bantams would be all it is good for. I really wanted standard size but was hoping to get four chickens (the more the merrier, right?). If it were you, what would you do? (I had chickens from 2003 - 2009 but husband doesn't want them again so I promised only a few. He turned our original, large coop into a storage building for all his stuff so can't use it again.)

If it were me, I'd clean out the original coop and get several.
wink.png
But, since your space is limited and you only have room for two standards and you want two standards, get two standard sized birds. If you want four standard sized birds, modify the coop if possible so you can get them.

X2, get whatever you want. If you prefer standards, get standards... do you have a particular breed in mind? If you don't want to get a bigger coop, could you get a smaller standard breed where three birds would fit in the coop you have? Main negative about having only two birds is that if you lose one, you are down to just one bird.

I would get small standards or bantams. I love my bantams personally... but if you have a standard breed you want get it!

Actually, my main objective is to have pets, eggs being a perk. After mulling it over, I think I'll go with four bantams. I've had both in the past and loved them all but it would be nice to get the green eggs from an Easter Egger. I seriously considered moving all of DH's stuff out of the old coop but the roof got leaky over the years and it smells musty and mildewy in there! Don't want to expose my girls to that! Thank you all for your feedback! I really appreciate it! The nice thing is I'm getting the bantams from a farm that holds a Fall Fesival every year and brings in a variety of bantam breeds and I'll have my pick! They have silkies, Japanese, d'uccles, barred rocks, Cochins, etc. Sooo excited!

Back
Top Bottom