Can't Decided what Killed her....

Rasuka

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 25, 2012
エド-City カブキチョ
I live in TX and I had a White Cochin. (standard)
She was always doing very well and healthy, and I did all I could last summer to keep her cool.
Sprinkler system was going, the fan was hooked from the garage and into their coop etc. . .
Last summer was WAY WAY hotter than this summer!
However...
I need help in deciding what happened to my Rocket Squating White Cochin named JC...?

So... Yesterday I went to put my ladies into their coop and I noticed that JC was on the floor panting..
So I got some mealworms, strange, she didn't jump up and eat them.
And she loves FOOD more than ANYOTHER chickens in my flock.
So I OFFERED them with my HAND. Nothing... She just looked up at me...
At first it looked like she was saying "Help me Mommi..."
But I pushed that feeling away thinking I was just imagining something.

Then this morning I went to the coop and she was dead.
Still in the same spot... She had flung dirt on herself to keep cool.
Thinking it was the heat that killed her, I became even more hurt and confused when I saw her head and neck where kinda red, like dried blood?
She was in a position with her heck tilted on the other side with her eye wide open and her mouth open too.
I don't understand.. Did she BREAK her neck? Or did she have heat stroke?
Please help!
I don't have pictures because I cried too much and I didn't think about it.
If anybody has any ideas... I don't care who, or what kind of ideas... Please share!

I'm so so sorry this happened! Sometimes we have inner feelings like you had and we push them out of our minds then later wish we acted on those feelings but you can't beat yourself up about it. My guess is it was heat stroke. I know when my hen gets hot she pants and brings her wings kinda out from her body
By the way you described her acting I think it was the heat. Again I'm so very very sorry for your loss.I hope this helps in some way. God bless

Back
Top Bottom