Can't find the Feeder

Studabird

Songster
May 8, 2020
Southwest Louisiana
I have 9 Bronzes they were supposed to be broad breasted but they aren't my problem is this; they can't ever find the feeder. I live on just shy of two acres and they started free ranging after the second hurricane this year took out their run. They are three months old and the feeder never moves it stays right outside their coop. During the course of the day they wander around the yard and inevitably forget where they are and where the feeder is. So whoever is lucky enough to go outside and be spotted by the hungry turkeys gets chased until the feeder is located. My wife is really getting tired of the turkeys chasing her when she is outside. They have been free ranging for about three weeks now. IF anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

I've never been able to completely free range my turkeys without them wandering far and wide. I keep them contained in very large areas of pasture and orchard with electric poultry netting. It's an expensive solution, but it works well. I raise a couple dozen turkeys every year for sale for thanksgiving birds and they are quite valuable to me so I don't like them walking down the road to the neighbors property :) I'm not sure exactly what to say about the feeder though. I have a sneaky suspicion they know exactly where it is, they are just curious and a bit bored when they run after you and your wife. Seems like the meat breeds wander and get lost pretty easy.

They never wander far. They stay around the house all the time and poop on everything. The only time they are not where they are supposed to be on a very rare occasion the feeder maybe empty or they just don’t know how to get back to it. I go out and they follow me because I am not afraid of them or they chase my wife. Once the feeder has been located they eat for five or ten minutes and go back to doing turkey stuff ie pooping.

Back
Top Bottom