1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can't get it out of my head!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by happyhen, Jun 14, 2008.

1. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    We have an over-population of Canadian Geese where I live, and of course right now they are raising their young.

On the way home this evening, DH and I crossed a small bridge with water on either side, and where wild ducks, geese and swans raise their young. The bridge is at the bottom of two hills.

We noticed traffic was stopped on both sides of the hill, and when we reached the bridge, two adult geese (of about 6) and 5 of at least 11 fuzzy babies had been seriously injured by at least 1 car.

We stopped to try to help, but the injured were too far gone and the un-injured were too aggressive to let us near enough to humanely dispatch the injured ones. DH (retired PO) called the cops to dispatch the injured while we flagged traffic to keep the well ones safe.

Horrible sights and sounds! I don't think I'll sleep well tonight.

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Oh I'm sorry !

3. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    sorry happyhen.

4. RooManRed

RooManRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Albany Ga.
    Thats sad, sorry you had to go through that.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG] that's horrible! I'm sorry.

6. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    Thanks all.

I just feel so bad for those birds! Even though we have more than our share of wild geese (and their droppings on playgrounds, parks, football, baseball and soccer fields!), most people around here "care" for them, even if it means holding up traffic to let them cross the roads.

Such horrible deaths!

7. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    It's hard when you see something like that. Glad that you took action and did what you could.

I used to stay in an apartment in Ft. Lauderdale that had a lake with ducks and we had a duck crossing sign (it was how I knew where my apartment was (they all looked alike)).

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    aaaaawwwwww [​IMG] I would have stopped too. Difference...I would be the crazy woman being attacked by the well ones trying to help the injured ones...either to save them or dispatch them.

Bless your heart...sleep because you did the right thing and tried to help.

9. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    What an aweful thing to happen. [​IMG] Here where we live there are tons of Canadian geese right now and every afternoon they cross this road on my way home. It's kind acute because traffic stops for them and the parents waddle across with their babies behind.
    But I did see there was one goose hit last week. [​IMG] It's very sad!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by