Can't get it out of my head!

happyhen

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Northeastern Ohio
We have an over-population of Canadian Geese where I live, and of course right now they are raising their young.

On the way home this evening, DH and I crossed a small bridge with water on either side, and where wild ducks, geese and swans raise their young. The bridge is at the bottom of two hills.

We noticed traffic was stopped on both sides of the hill, and when we reached the bridge, two adult geese (of about 6) and 5 of at least 11 fuzzy babies had been seriously injured by at least 1 car.

We stopped to try to help, but the injured were too far gone and the un-injured were too aggressive to let us near enough to humanely dispatch the injured ones. DH (retired PO) called the cops to dispatch the injured while we flagged traffic to keep the well ones safe.

Horrible sights and sounds! I don't think I'll sleep well tonight.

hugs.gif
Oh I'm sorry !

Thanks all.

I just feel so bad for those birds! Even though we have more than our share of wild geese (and their droppings on playgrounds, parks, football, baseball and soccer fields!), most people around here "care" for them, even if it means holding up traffic to let them cross the roads.

Such horrible deaths!

It's hard when you see something like that. Glad that you took action and did what you could.

I used to stay in an apartment in Ft. Lauderdale that had a lake with ducks and we had a duck crossing sign (it was how I knew where my apartment was (they all looked alike)).

aaaaawwwwww
hugs.gif
I would have stopped too. Difference...I would be the crazy woman being attacked by the well ones trying to help the injured ones...either to save them or dispatch them.

Bless your heart...sleep because you did the right thing and tried to help.

What an aweful thing to happen.
sad.png
Here where we live there are tons of Canadian geese right now and every afternoon they cross this road on my way home. It's kind acute because traffic stops for them and the parents waddle across with their babies behind.
But I did see there was one goose hit last week.
sad.png
It's very sad!

Back
Top Bottom