Can't get rid of canker

neophyte17

Songster
11 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Florida
So I have had chickens for over 10 years and never had a problem with canker. Didn't even hear of it...until recently. By the time I figured out what it was, 4 hens had it. I started treating with Rodinazole but 2 died. The other 2 are better but one of them still has stuff in her mouth although I took most of it out. I have treated with Rodinazole, metrodinazole and acidified copper sulfate. I treated the entire flock for 7 days then with acidified copper sulfate then rodinazole again and acidified copper sulfate again. I tried giving tablets to the hen with the visible canker in her mouth for 7 days. None of my other hens shows symptoms but this one hen still has it. I have read many threads. I know that surviving hens will be carriers for life but I just can't seem to help this one hen with the stuff in her mouth. Any one had any success with canker? I have some young chicks that will be integrated with the flock in a month or so. I am afraid that if they get it they will die being so young.

Personally, I would cull birds with canker, especially since you are adding healthy chicks soon. If you don’t cull, I would disinfect feeders and waterers with 10% bleach and rinse well, and not use those on the new birds. Keep the canker positive birds separately.

I will try toltrazuril as suggested in a poultry DVM website
1715707501282.png

Back
Top Bottom