Can't get rid of Gapeworm

Maggies chickens

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2021
Colorado
I recently treated my small flock for gape worm and they seemed to be doing fine and their symptoms had gone away but recently on of my chickens has started making those weird neck movements that make it seem like she has something in her throat. She has done this before and the moment I give them dewormer it usually goes away. The problem is, is that I don't want to have to keep giving her dewormer and having to throw the eggs away do to the withdrawal period. I've tried natural dewormers but they just don't seem to do the trick. Please offer any advice!

Hi @Maggies chickens

What kind of dewormer did you use and for how long? Often it is advised to repeat the treatment after 7-10 days, so maybe you missed the follow up?

Do you keep your chickens together with water fowl?

I used Safeguard Goat dewormer. I read online that it could be used to deworm chickens. I gave each of my chickens 1cc and I diluted it in water. I did this for 5 days straight and the withdrawal time I'm doing is 24 days. I only have 6 chickens so no waterfowl.

I recently treated my small flock for gape worm and they seemed to be doing fine and their symptoms had gone away but recently on of my chickens has started making those weird neck movements that make it seem like she has something in her throat. She has done this before and the moment I give them dewormer it usually goes away. The problem is, is that I don't want to have to keep giving her dewormer and having to throw the eggs away do to the withdrawal period. I've tried natural dewormers but they just don't seem to do the trick. Please offer any advice!
Do you know for sure that your chickens have gapeworm? Are you in the United States? Gapeworm is rare in the US. Any other symptoms than just stretching the neck with an open mouth?

I am in the US. I'm not entirely sure that it is gape worm. I can't find any other main symptoms besides stretching her neck and always having her mouth open. Sometimes she sneezes quite often but besides that I'm not sure. Could it be something else?

I am in the US. I'm not entirely sure that it is gape worm. I can't find any other main symptoms besides stretching her neck and always having her mouth open. Sometimes she sneezes quite often but besides that I'm not sure. Could it be something else?
It could be just as simple as her adjusting her crop… she could have a crop issue, or possibly respiratory disease but I wouldn’t jump the gun on that one yet

Back
Top Bottom