Hencraze24

Songster
May 9, 2019
Sussex, WI
I have 3 cockerels in our mixed 10 week old flock of 8. they are:
  • A black Japanese bantam
  • A standard size white created black Polish
  • a bantam buff Cochin
The polish is so aggressive he can't even live with the other 7.
The Japanese and Cochin are ALWAYS fighting. :he
It's gotten to the point where it's drawing blood. They are already both crowing.
I have a picture of the Cochin, but the Japanese was too skittish.
webcam-toy-photo3 (1).jpg
How do I get them to stop fighting? This is natural behavior, sure, but It's getting on my nerves and I'm worried one will get hurt or killed.

Last edited:
Youre probably going to have to separate them out. 3 males to 5 females is what would be considered a high male to female ratio for chickens and the ladies will likely be overbred when they start breeding, which is harmful to their health. Especially if your boys are aggressive. I know you prob dont want to separate them from eachother but its a sure way to end the fighting. You can try to separate them for a time to let them cool off and then reintroduce them when they can behave and see how it goes later on.

I'd keep one and move the other two elsewhere. This likely won't improve, and stresses everyone. You can't modify this behavior with training!
Even if, for example, the brooder is too small, or too brightly lit, or they need more feeders, still, they just need to be split up.
Of the three, and having no idea what your flock plans are, I'd probably choose the Cochin.
Mary

If you are intending to breed them, and you have the room to do it, I would separate them into different flock's and give each it's own hen's. Otherwise, I would just get rid of the two that are causing the most trouble in picking the fight's.

I'd keep one and move the other two elsewhere. This likely won't improve, and stresses everyone. You can't modify this behavior with training!
Even if, for example, the brooder is too small, or too brightly lit, or they need more feeders, still, they just need to be split up.
Of the three, and having no idea what your flock plans are, I'd probably choose the Cochin.
Mary

we are keeping one and don't want to breed them, we don't even want roosters

Back
Top Bottom