Can't get roosters to stop fighting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hencraze24, May 20, 2019.

1. Hencraze24

Hencraze24 Songster

May 9, 2019
    Sussex, WI
    I have 3 cockerels in our mixed 10 week old flock of 8. they are:
    • A black Japanese bantam
    • A standard size white created black Polish
    • a bantam buff Cochin
    The polish is so aggressive he can't even live with the other 7.
    The Japanese and Cochin are ALWAYS fighting. :he
    It's gotten to the point where it's drawing blood. They are already both crowing.
    I have a picture of the Cochin, but the Japanese was too skittish.
    webcam-toy-photo3 (1).jpg
    How do I get them to stop fighting? This is natural behavior, sure, but It's getting on my nerves and I'm worried one will get hurt or killed.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    BlueBaby and m1chelle1 like this.
  2. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    The Great PNW
    Youre probably going to have to separate them out. 3 males to 5 females is what would be considered a high male to female ratio for chickens and the ladies will likely be overbred when they start breeding, which is harmful to their health. Especially if your boys are aggressive. I know you prob dont want to separate them from eachother but its a sure way to end the fighting. You can try to separate them for a time to let them cool off and then reintroduce them when they can behave and see how it goes later on.

3. Henry&Friends

Henry&Friends Chirping

May 6, 2018
    Make some soup, or they’ll keep fighting. If they don’t kill each other, they’ll overbreed the hens, and might be aggressive towards you too.

4. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    It's not worth keeping them all. I had 2 cockerels who wouldn't stop fighting. It was stressing out the whole flock. Sold one and then there was peace....and everyone is happy again.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I'd keep one and move the other two elsewhere. This likely won't improve, and stresses everyone. You can't modify this behavior with training!
    Even if, for example, the brooder is too small, or too brightly lit, or they need more feeders, still, they just need to be split up.
    Of the three, and having no idea what your flock plans are, I'd probably choose the Cochin.
    Mary

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Just cockerels/roosters acting normally. Separation or soup always worked for me.

7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

If you are intending to breed them, and you have the room to do it, I would separate them into different flock's and give each it's own hen's. Otherwise, I would just get rid of the two that are causing the most trouble in picking the fight's.

Hencraze24 likes this.
  8. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    How big is the area you are keeping them in? If they are still in a tiny brooder at 10 weeks, then that could be causing them to fight more.

Hencraze24 likes this.
  9. Hencraze24

Hencraze24 Songster

May 9, 2019
    Sussex, WI
    we didn't want ANY roosters-they are barley 2 months

BlueBaby likes this.
  10. Hencraze24

Hencraze24 Songster

May 9, 2019
    Sussex, WI
    we are keeping one and don't want to breed them, we don't even want roosters

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: