Can't get temperature to steady

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jettgirl24, Jul 10, 2010.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I set my eggs the other day in a borrowed still air styrofoam incubator. The friend I got it from had a great hatch in it a couple of months ago... 19 out of 20 eggs... But I can't seem to get the temperature to steady in that thing. I've got it in a place that seems to have the least room temperature fluctuation in the house and for the most part I've been able to keep the temp within normal range (99 - 101), if not right at 101 degrees. Last night however, I came home form work and the temp had bumped up to 103 degrees [​IMG] I have no idea how long it was that high but it happened sometime in a 4 hour block of time because my BF checked it when he got home and it was at 101. Now I'm worried I did some kind of damage to my eggs though! At the time they had been set for about 24 hours... Do you think they'll be ok? I've got the temp back under control now and I can monitor them all weekend so I hope by Monday I'll have this thing figured out.

2. crossedwires

crossedwires Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    short periods at 103 shouldnt do much harm prolonged temps that high will lead to early hatches and weaker chicks.

3. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Okay that's very good to know. It seems to be holding much steadier today so hopefully I've got it dialed in. If I continue to hatch I'm definitely going to invest in a more reliable incubator!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by