Can't get the humidity up to save my life...it worked out...pics added

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by malia, Jun 30, 2008.

1. malia

malia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    GA
    I've got a forced air incubator and on the end of day 18. I have all my water trays filled, even the one that's not supposed to need water, and a soaked sponge. I haven't removed my plugs though because I can't get my humidity past 58%. I have the cheap hygrometer for reptiles from petsmart. I am really not sure what else to do at this point. I do have the shelf liner with hole in it to keep the chicks off the wire. Should I take the liner out? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  2. Psittizen Shikkin

Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    replace the hygrometer and see if there's a different reading?

3. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:I hate struggling w/ humidity. My very old galvanized still air Brower Top Hatch is a bear to get the humidity up. I have to stay on it constantly. I had to replace it's small water container w/ a big pie pan to help increase the humidity. I know surface area of water is more important to bump humidity opposed to the dept of water.

What kind of forced air incubator do you have? Maybe there will be a way for you to add water w/ out lifting the lid, so you can keep your temps & humidity stable.

I wonder if you just need new batteries in your themo/hygrometer.

One thing I have found helpful is when it's day 18 to heat up the water before adding it to help bump up the humidity.

I know during the hatch part it is important to have some vents open to circulate some oxygen.

I bet your humidity is fine and that your hygrometer is maybe a little off. Maybe add a second hygrometer to compare it to. Give that a try and see what the readings say.

Good luck on your hatch!!!! [​IMG]

4. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Make sure your temp stays at 100F with the vents open. You might need to adjust the fresh air coming in to level out your max humidity. It helps if all the eggs are laying right above the water.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I would remove some of the shelf liner to see if that helps..I know when I used it it really affected my humidity too. Maybe remove 1/2 of it....just to see what happens. You don't want to cover a lot of surface area on the last three days.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I fold up a piece of papertowel and wet it with warm water to increase the humidity. I put it near a vent hole, so I can add water through a tube without opening the incubator. [​IMG] Works like a charm.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I used to have that problem with my first hatch, i used a humidifier near the incubator, this helped to humidify the whole room more. I positioned it under the bator , which was sitting on a shelf, so the humid air would flow into the bator

8. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Maxi pad! Soak one with warm water- works wonders and you can add the water through the vent hole- soaks it right up! [​IMG]

Also pull a vent plug- air flow helps the humidity. Humidity is in part caused by evaporating water.

Replace your hygrometer also. The first one I used told me my humidity was always low, but I had sticky chicks...new hygrometer, and I discovered my humidity was on the high end.

9. eggonomist

eggonomist Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2007
    Singhampton, Ont, Canada
    My flukers is not to be trusted for humidity, I have a zilla that works better IMHO, but for sure change the hygometer, or even take yours out, turn it off for a few hours and then turn it back on and see if the humidity has changed. Also a super absorbent sponge in the water pan works wonders, I have to take mine out to keep the level low enough for the first 25 days.

10. malia

malia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    GA
    Thank you all so much. I believe it is my hygrometer, but the chicks didn''t want to wait for me to get a new one. So far 9 have hatched and I still have 6-7 pipped. Guess I'll be winging it this round. These were my 18 salmon faverolle eggs shipped from bantyman, mike. He did an excellent job packing the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by