Can't identify the issue. Ingrown feather? Broken Blood feather?

ChickenLiz87

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
Hello, I need help identifying the issue with my rooster. I am new to chickens. I've asked several people with experience, but no one can tell me whats going on here.
The pictures could be better. It's difficult to wrangle them and take the pictures solo.
This is my Jersey Giant Rooster. He is a year old. The area of concern is at the base of his saddle. The protruding thing is half an inch or better. Red and maybe a little swollen, but not hot to the touch. The redness can even be seen on his back end above his vent (Is it still called a vent in roosters?). That redness alerted me to the bump thing. The end of the protrusion has a few tiny feathers of it.
He seems to be acting completely normal. Eating and watching over my hens.
rooster2.jpg
rooster3.jpg
rooster4.jpg
rooster1.jpg

My first thought is some kind of ingrown feather.
Any advice would be welcomed. If there is any more information I can provide, please ask.

That looks like the preen gland (uropygial gland), they pick up oil there when preening and distribute to their feathers. I don't see anything major going on except some redness, and sometimes redness in roosters is hormonal. Hard to say without seeing him myself. The gland can sometimes become blocked in which case warm compresses and gentle massage may clear it if necessary. Here is a couple of links with some info, you can search for more.
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/birdoilgland.html
https://www.justanswer.com/pet-bird/1wmdh-causes-bird-s-uropygial-gland-become-clogged.html

After following the links, I believe it is this gland. I will try some warm compresses. Thanks so so very much! Your response was especially helpful. I had no idea this gland existed. I just got into chickens last year. I'm still learning.

I suspect he's probably fine and the redness is just hormonal fluctuations, but compresses won't hurt him. The first link I sent had instructions for checking the gland to see if oil is coming out. I'd just watch it and see if you notice any swelling or it looking worse, or if his feathers start looking unkempt. It doesn't really look swollen to me in the pictures, but pictures don't always tell the whole story, you can see it much better.

Back
Top Bottom