Cant seem to get this!

Ktank

In the Brooder
May 31, 2020
This is my second time trying to hatch eggs and can't seem to get this right for some reason. The first time, we did like a dozen eggs and got 2 but 1 died. This time we did 15 and got 2 again so far. 1 is out and moving great the other is still in egg for over 24 hours now, it is just breathing hard and not moving much and not making noise? I'm so lost with this!! This time around the eggs were ideal, I got them the next day from the coop and had the temp and humidity right the whole. I felt like this has been perfect till now. Can anyone help me out???

I'm sorry to hear this.
Did you calibrate the tempature and hygrometer sensors on the incubator?
What type of incubator are you using?
Can you tell us how many times you're turning the eggs? Are you trying to hatch Pullet (under a year) eggs or full grown hen eggs?

The chick stuck in the egg may need assistance getting out. Pictures would help.

Do you have a calibrated thermometer? I normally have at least two thermometers in the incubator same with hydrometer.

What was the temp and humidity in the incubator?

Did you turn or have an auto turner?

My incubator is Farm Innovations model 4250 pro series. The temp is automatic with staying at 100° and humidity during the 18 days we kept up at 60% and then last 3 days we had it at 70-75%. We have an automatic egg turner in it as well and we took that out the last 3 days. We get chicks to develope in the eggs but don't seem to make it to the end. I read to not help chicks but my husband said he took some shell off to see if it can get energy to get out.
Our hens and rooster are a couple years old.

Attachments

• 16240251986801968583006268333064.jpg
    16240251986801968583006268333064.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 6
Is it moving its mouth like it's eating... kinda a quick movement. If sonits not ready. If not it may need help. If the inner membrane seems to be dried around it use coconut oil or an non pain relief antibiotic ointment to moisten.

Did you have any other humidity or heat sensor? I learned the hardway not to trust the built in ones (still do on my natureright, but that's a different story). Had a chinabator that I managed to get 10 eggs to lockdown (out of 45 that started developing) and none made it, even when put in my natureright for lockdown. The humidity was grossly wrong (saying 99% was low 40s) and who knows if the temperature was wrong or not. I feel it must have been to cause that amount of damage

Also, we are on day 23. We still have 10 eggs in the incubator that haven't piped yet. We did candle them last night and seem to be chicks in them but whether there way behind to hatch or they have died. And my 1 live chick is still in there

I agree with the above. I just read the post I was checking the pic first. You always want at least two or more ways to check temp. More often than not one may be wrong. Even a degree or two can c ause a delay or a quitter...

Yes thats what it's doing! But it's not eating it, just making the mouth movement and maybe stretches a little here and there.
Is it moving its mouth like it's eating... kinda a quick movement. If sonits not ready. If not it may need help. If the inner membrane seems to be dried around it use coconut oil or an non pain relief antibiotic ointment to moisten.

Heck, even a broody can cause delays too. I have several who have been kickingneggs away slightly because they would be too hot during the day abd that has slowed hatches down as well

Back
Top Bottom