1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can't stabilize Brower incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by banter, Mar 3, 2008.

1. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I can't stabilize the temp on my Brower incubator! It will shoot up to 104, the down to 95.
    I've had it running for 4 days. My house is kept cool, but it's in a draft free bathroom.????????????
    Help!
    Banter in Maine

2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Whwn my temps get like that, I find that changing the thermastat will fix it right up.

3. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    What model Brower do you have? Do you have more than one themometer in there to compare the temps?

4. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    May need to get a new wafer. More than likely that is the problem...[​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I agree to the suggested replace the wafer. If the temps still flunctuate you can add a sealed jar of hot water to help act as a heat sink. The water won't change temps as easily or readily as the air.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I'm having a similar problem. It's a brand new thermostat, but I don't think it's sensitive enough to keep the temps within 1-2 degrees. I also have 3 jars of water in the bottom of the cooler as a heat sink, and shielded the thermostat from the light, in hopes of evening out the temps. (It's a homemade incubator, following your design, Miss Prissy.)

My question is this... is it better to let the air temp fluctuate from 97-104°F if the "egg" temperature (inside a water wiggler or baggies with water) stays within 0.6°F of 99.5°F? I want to try to set a small number of eggs to test it out tomorrow, but if I can't get it to stabilize, I don't know what to do... [​IMG] (The humidity is holding around 60-61%.)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  7. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I think thats fine if it says 99.5 in the wiggler. I never had any problems with my brower. this is my second time using it and I got 2 more sets comming next month

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Thank you... I'm watching the cycles, and it looks like the light kicks on around 97°F and off at 105-106°F, but the temp inside the baggies doesn't change more than 0.5°F either way... I'll be patient and let it cycle through a few more hours before panicking. [​IMG]

9. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    lol! I hope everything goes well. How do you change the thermostat? I accidently threw out the manual because I really did not need it. I have the parts list still

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    It's just a simple water-heater thermostat from Home Depot. But I'm finding that it's not very sensitive. So far the T°-air range is ~ 97-106°F (avg 101.5°F). The T°-egg is up to 98.8 °F, and I'm assuming it will rise a little more over the next few cycles. Each cycle is approx 30 minutes. The thermostat just has a little screw in it that you turn up or down (very little!) but unfortunately I have to open the incubator to adjust it.

Here's a link that shows what the incubator looks like. http://picasaweb.google.com/K9Mom2008/EggTurner?authkey=7SdMVIn_O0M
    If
    I ever build one again, the thermostat will go in the middle of the cooler, and not right above the light. I put some reflective insulation between the light and the thermostat, so hopefully it's reading a little more accurately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by