Can't stand, walk and swollen back side

tmcdonald226

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
I have an EE that is 10 months old, not laying. Yesterday she was fine and today she can't stand, walk, and she has a swollen back side. Her belly area feels swollen. She has eaten and drank and allows me to move her legs, lay her on her back and never makes a sound...any ideas? Her poop is clear and it isn't much...

She sounds like she’s egg bound. That’s when an egg gets stuck inside of her.You can get some kind of lubricant and try to work the egg out of her very carefully. You can also try giving her an Epson salt bath and warm water. If those don’t work I would recommend taking her to a vet this is a very serious condition that can kill a chicken. Immediate action is required.

Also give her a calcium supplement in addition to the other post info.. It will help with the muscle contractions to pass an egg. You can either give it to her like a pill or I have opened a capsule and mixed it in yogurt so they would eat it. You need to help her pass the egg asap if she can't stand or walk.

Also give her a calcium supplement in addition to the other post info.. It will help with the muscle contractions to pass an egg. You can either give it to her like a pill or I have opened a capsule and mixed it in yogurt so they would eat it. You need to help her pass the egg asap if she can't stand or walk.
What kind of calcium supplement do you recommend? We do not have a vet that will look at chickens in my area but I'm willing to try whatever I can here at home. Shes in a homemade sling for now

Attachments

• 20210225_130049.jpg
    20210225_130049.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 8
Any human calcium or even tums. Don't worry about giving her too much.

I'm also not sure the sling is the best plan if she is trying to lay an egg. She needs to be able to push.

Also put on a glove, lube your finger and gently feel inside her vent to see if you can feel an egg or any obstruction.

Any human calcium or even tums. Don't worry about giving her too much.

I'm also not sure the sling is the best plan if she is trying to lay an egg. She needs to be able to push.

Also put on a glove, lube your finger and gently feel inside her vent to see if you can feel an egg or any obstruction.
She doesn't appear to be trying. She can't stand or walk. She just falls over and her bottom is swollen and legs and feet are cold

Did you feel for an egg? At 10 months and not laying she could have a reproductive issue. Do you feed layer pellets or have oyster shell available for them?

I would take her out of the sling but roll up some towels or a blanket around her to hold her upright in case it's an egg bound issue so she can push if needed.

If it is some other reproductive problem there is sadly not much you may be able to do.

But it sounds like it came on suddenly so my best guess is a stuck egg. Also a clue is that not much in the way of poop is coming out.

Give the calcium, Feel inside for an egg and try the warm soak to help her.

If you need more help and no one else chimes in do a search for Egg Bound or search for other symptoms to get some ideas of anything else this could be.
and things to try.

I hope she pulls through.

Did you feel for an egg? At 10 months and not laying she could have a reproductive issue. Do you feed layer pellets or have oyster shell available for them?

I would take her out of the sling but roll up some towels or a blanket around her to hold her upright in case it's an egg bound issue so she can push if needed.

If it is some other reproductive problem there is sadly not much you may be able to do.

But it sounds like it came on suddenly so my best guess is a stuck egg. Also a clue is that not much in the way of poop is coming out.

Give the calcium, Feel inside for an egg and try the warm soak to help her.
Doing that now

Back
Top Bottom