Can't wait to get started

Oh that's good to know! Australorp is actually one of the breeds in my top 3. Based on comments I think we very well may do 3 or 4. Our zoning requirements as they are we are only allowed to have 4 on our current property. When we get more land in the future I plan to have a much larger flock! We are planning to build a 4x6 coop and a 10x5 run and also will allow them to free range pretty much all the time
Did you say where you are located? Keep in mind that free ranging comes with the risk of losing your chickens to a predator. I semi-free range, and have lost a few to eagles. It's pretty heartbreaking.

Welcome to the pulse beat of the chicken community, BACKYARD CHICKENS. :jumpy:jumpy
It's best to allow 4-5 sq.feet inside the coop (excluding nest boxes & roosts). In the outdoor run 10 sq. feet per bird. Somewhat less if you plan to have only Bantam (small sized) chicken breeds.

If you decide to free range your flock, you will need to accept some losses due to aerial or ground predators (fox, raccoon, hawk, etc_

A cover on your run will prevent hawks from swooping down and grabbing your birds. If it is a solid cover it will offer some protection from sun, rain/snow etc.

Did you say where you are located? Keep in mind that free ranging comes with the risk of losing your chickens to a predator. I semi-free range, and have lost a few to eagles. It's pretty heartbreaking.
Central ohio, pretty urban. We had a raccoon in the area in the summer that was frequently out during the day but he disappeared a bit before fall so I think he was sick
but I'm also at home all day and our yard is fenced and we have an Aussie who does a good job of spooking most things. We are planning a big space of the yard for optional chicken run if we do have any issues with it though

Welcome to the pulse beat of the chicken community, BACKYARD CHICKENS. :jumpy:jumpy
It's best to allow 4-5 sq.feet inside the coop (excluding nest boxes & roosts). In the outdoor run 10 sq. feet per bird. Somewhat less if you plan to have only Bantam (small sized) chicken breeds.

If you decide to free range your flock, you will need to accept some losses due to aerial or ground predators (fox, raccoon, hawk, etc_

A cover on your run will prevent hawks from swooping down and grabbing your birds. If it is a solid cover it will offer some protection from sun, rain/snow etc.
Yeah we will cover for sure and we have a lot of raccoons in the area cover and do a solid cover for at least half since we have some pretty intense rain here

Oh that's good to know! Australorp is actually one of the breeds in my top 3. Based on comments I think we very well may do 3 or 4. Our zoning requirements as they are we are only allowed to have 4 on our current property. When we get more land in the future I plan to have a much larger flock! We are planning to build a 4x6 coop and a 10x5 run and also will allow them to free range pretty much all the time
I guess that was confusing
We are planning on a 4x6 coop now and a 10x5 run now. We will upgrade whenever we have more land and have room for a bigger coop/run/more chickies

Back
Top Bottom