Can't wait to have a flock!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lunar Rain, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Lunar Rain

Lunar Rain Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello all. I am new to the forum. My family and I are looking forward to raising our own flock for pets, eggs, and lawn ornaments. ^_^
    Once we get to our new home this summer we will be working on the chicken yard. So while we are waiting during these 2 long months, we are gathering as much information and ideas as possible for our future flock. I have a few questions, what would many of you consider to be the children and cold weather friendly chickens? I really like the Cochin, Plymouths, and Orpingtons. I would like for them to be able to enjoy a few bugs in our yard and garden and not worry about them wondering off.

2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

Have to say I absolutely love your avatar! So cute

As for the breeds you mentioned....I have had all 3 and loved them all. Orpingtons are so fluffy and friendly, the Rocks I had were friendly but a little more independent and bossy. I have bantam cochins now and they are very friendly and love to be with humans altho they are very broody.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I wish I could have a few of each breed. Love them all

1 person likes this.
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] X2 on the avatar! It's so cute.

1 person likes this.
  4. Lunar Rain

Thank you, I found the avatar off of my fb newsfeed and thought that it would be perfect for here. We are going to start off with about 15. So I thought a mixture of Fluffy peepers would be awesome for us to enjoy. Looking at a combination of 3 different breeds that are friendly and easy going. I am not sure of where we are planning on getting them from, whether we are going to local farms or order them.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Maybe the cochin bantams would be good for the kids - the large ones probably too heavy - are they young children?I f you weren't concerned about the cold, I would add silkies to that, kids and silkies really seem to go together.

1 person likes this.
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Lunar Rain, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Best of luck to you and your future flock!

1 person likes this.
  7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

8. LoveChickens123

LoveChickens123 Chillin' With My Peeps

hi and [​IMG] hope you like it

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck with the move to your new home, and welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  10. Lunar Rain

I am loving this forum. There are some amazing pictures and information. I love how friendly everyone is to each other. Thank you for making me feel welcome and this the place where I will share my future flock adventures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by