Capon service in CA

aef1000

Chirping
Sep 14, 2018
With so many people needing a solution for their cockerels, there seems a real need for a Caponizing service. Anyone know of anyone doing this?

With so many people needing a solution for their cockerels, there seems a real need for a Caponizing service. Anyone know of anyone doing this?

Are you looking for someone like a vet to do the procedure? Or are you looking for say a farmer to do it for meat birds? I'm in CA and just had two of my roos done last week by a vet because they are our pets.

Actually both. I think I may have some Rooster Silkies that would make wonderful pets. I also was considering raising a small number of meat birds and would want to caponize the cockerels, so a vet wouldn’t make sense for that.

That would be nice, considering how many backyard chicken keepers have to deal with unwanted or illegal roosters. But in this day and age you'd probably have to worry about getting charged with practicing veterinary medicine without a license.
You'd think more vets would be willing to work with chickens, with there being so many backyard flocks around. The vet clinic I've been using for 20 some years has seen all sorts of animals for me, but acted like I was nuts when I called to see if they'd perform a very minor procedure on a chicken.

Actually both. I think I may have some Rooster Silkies that would make wonderful pets. I also was considering raising a small number of meat birds and would want to caponize the cockerels, so a vet wouldn’t make sense for that.

Are you located in Northern or Southern Cali? My vet is willing to caponize more roosters. I am located in Northern California near Sacramento. If you aren't too far from that and would want to have your pet roos done I could share her info with you. Let me know.

Are you located in Northern or Southern Cali? My vet is willing to caponize more roosters. I am located in Northern California near Sacramento. If you aren't too far from that and would want to have your pet roos done I could share her info with you. Let me know.

How much did he charge to do a capon?

I'm resurrecting this thread to see if anyone else might have info. I've looked around thinking that this is the type of thing the UC poultry extension would offer classes on but I can find nothing.

It is a shame more vets do not have an interest in this sort of thing.

How much did he charge to do a capon?

I'm resurrecting this thread to see if anyone else might have info. I've looked around thinking that this is the type of thing the UC poultry extension would offer classes on but I can find nothing.

It is a shame more vets do not have an interest in this sort of thing.
Bumping this thread again, because I feel it's necessary. My sister raises silkies in the Redding area and we've been looking for someone to do this for her birds. Although I don't mind learning, I normally live in NC. If anyone can recommend a farmer or vet, please reply here or shoot me an email at my username, at yahoo.com. thanks guys!

I would love your vet's info. I live in Sacramento and have a cockerel I'd like to have caponed. I appreciate any contact info you can share. Thanks!

I’m in Sacramento and have two silkies that are about 5 weeks old that may be cockerels. I really want to keep them as pets. Can I have more info about the person that can caponize?

Back
Top Bottom