Caponizing

flyingdragon

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 22, 2009
Anyone with caponizing experience and suggestions? After processing several barred rock roos after 12 and 16 weeks, I was not impressed with their flavor (kind of bland). Since capons are processed at an older age, I am thinking that they would have a depth of flavor. I read that Dorkings are a very good tasting bird and I'd like to get some. Anyone with Dorking experience? Thanks.

I found the information on this forum sufficient to enable me to master this skill on my own.

Only the first cockerel attempted died, that's because I cut the connecting thread instead of gently pulling & snapping it. Even his death wasn't a total loss, I turned him over and practiced taking out the testicle from his other side without losing blood, and never lost another cockerel after that.

The main difficulty I encountered is that in order to be most effective, the procedure must be done when the cockerels are very young, 4-6 weeks. But at that age their parts are very small and more difficult to locate & identify. My over-40 eyes have difficulty seeing up close, I would like to have better lighting, magnification, & equipment. Or a young, sharp-eyed apprentice to direct!

There's been discussion on this topic in the Meat Birds Etc section, take a look at https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2489274 and see if that helps. I too want to learn how to do this, I have been processing mixed- breed and standard breed roos and would like to make them grow bigger. But I wait until they're around 20 weeks before butchering, they don't seem meaty enough at just 12-16 weeks. And my birds taste good, maybe it's the herbs & stuff I cook with them.

Thanks. I was thinking that they would be tough if I waited much longer. Plus, they were giving my pullets a fit and it's much quieter now.

I tried PMing the caponizing man, but I'm still waiting to hear from him. Just had a few questions for him. I have several books on the subject, but I think I will have to go with the descriptions of the surgery, because the pics are all terrible. I just got my kit about 4 days ago. I am incubating some eggs now, which are due to hatch out on the 18th....RIRs. I am after the cockerals and don't need the pullets at all. I already have 50 hens and about 20 dozen eggs to sell, but I will be needing to start buying my chicken meat next week.
I have wanted to learn to do the procedure for about 20+ years. I watched someone who claimed he knew how to do it, but I can assure you, I could have done better. He killed that rooster right in front of me and my mom. It wasn't pretty.
I'm not sure if I will attempt the surgery when my roos are 3 to 6 weeks old or if I will raise them as roos and caponize some dead roos to gain experience.
I am a nurse, but not a surgery nurse...although I had to go through a rotation in school. But I really feel like I can do it sometimes. I am more thinking I really might just try it on a live one. I just wish I had a teacher. In school we had to watch, perform and teach. That was how we learned every procedure and I feel like one of those 3 are going to be missing.
I need to set myself up a surgery table that I feel comfortable with.
Also, I think I will send everyone away from me when I do it. Unless I really trust someone and think I might need an extra pair of hands.

Merci bien! BTW, I'm a nurse, too! I'm going to order the book and kit from Stromberg's. I don't have any cockerels now but I've got a herd of French guineas that are demanding the guillotine! I have no idea how to sex guineas but out of ten there should be at least one male I can practice on.

tres bien (i can speak it but write it is another story). Look....In Loyl Stromberg's book he mentions caponizing of pheasants which was apparently similar to chickens but had poor success in the beginning and had to make some changes.
The female guinea will say buckwheat-buckwheat and will be much more vocal than the male, if that helps you id them. Too bad its not the other way around. So I'm not sure about caponizing of guineas, because the people that eat guineas say they taste more like pheasants than chickens, so I am wondering if they are more closely related to them.
I didn't learn French in school. I learned in a crib........sorry.

I agree, try waiting til 18-20 wks and see if you like the flavor better that way. They will not be too tough if you cook them intelligently. If they are raising too much of a ruckus with the pullets you can put them in a bachelor pen of their own until they have grown out enough.

FWIW, the best-tasting chicken I have had yet, hands-down, was a spare buff chantecler cockerel (16 wks)... and I have read others praise their flavor as well... so you might consider getting a few chanteclers (probably the common white or partridge ones) to see how you like them.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I understand the wish for bigger and better birds for meat, however, I would like to bring up the concern of animal welfare. The procedure of caponizing is invasive and extremely painful for the animal. The risks of complications are high and much higher if untrained persons perform the procedure. To give perspective to the issue: the practice has been banned in the UK due to concerns for the welfare of the birds.

Unfortunately I can't find a teacher, and after having some of my books over 20 years I'm tired of waiting. This country prohibits chemical caponizations, which would be much easier and less invasive. If I can make what should be a 7 Lb rooster become a 12 Lb capon, I would have less animals I would need to kill....with less food, less fights, less crowing and apparently better taste.
I don't know about painful, but I will be killing these animals anyway. The beef and pork we eat was casturated, if it was a male and we eat it.....it wouldn't taste good otherwise. I won't take anything personal about this, but about being untrained.....I was once untrained to do some very unpleasant things to human beings, but I had to learn, and it was on human beings that I had to practice on. People have their dogs and cats spayed and neutered and feel they did something really good for their pets. I don't think anyone who wants to learn caponization is unconcerned about animal welfare. If we could have a centerally located place to meet, I would gladly see if I can attend a workshop, if I could become certified, but I haven't heard of one.
I feel like I am being a little harsh and I am sorry. I know there are a lot of people that view their chickens as pets. I do like my chickens very much.....always have, but to me they are livestock.

Back
Top Bottom