Caponizing

Well I have caponized about 75 chickens now. Unfortunately some didn't make it but quite honestly I killed two on purpose thinking they were going to bleed out and I didn't want them to suffer. One that I thought was dead I laid aside and then 10 minutes later looked and he was standing next to my feet. Nicknamed him Lazarus.
I have learned a lot. Still have 50 more to do and the mortality rate is declining greatly.
Wanted to thank everyone for giving me so many ideas. I have 15 that should be ready to process in January or maybe December. The rest will be ready in February.
I ended up buying a Chinese caponizing kit from one of the guys on this site and it was FAR SUPERIOR to the one I got from strombergs. I can see why they call it a 6 second kit. If you practice it is a whole lot faster.
Again. Thanks.
Looking for a link for that Chinese kit. Sorry this thread is old but please assist
Thank you

Has anyone taken a cockerel to the veterinarian for caponizing for one to be kept as a pet?

I know of several who have used caponizing to keep roos as pets. I know of one lady from Oklahoma who took hers to a vet who says they do them (not easy to find by the way) she was unsuccessful on one and the other died on the table. The vet was charging about 200 per bird I believe.

The vet here was going to charge 60... Which would pay for the kit. Sheesh

I think and hope this practice becomes more common with the rise of homesteaders and backyard flocks.
I think caponization helps make nice table birds from the egg breeds.

The vet here was going to charge 60... Which would pay for the kit. Sheesh

I think and hope this practice becomes more common with the rise of homesteaders and backyard flocks.
I think caponization helps make nice table birds from the egg breeds.

How old of a bird are you talking about doing? How much experience does the vet have w/ SUCSESSFUL caponizing?

I know of several who have used caponizing to keep roos as pets. I know of one lady from Oklahoma who took hers to a vet who says they do them (not easy to find by the way) she was unsuccessful on one and the other died on the table. The vet was charging about 200 per bird I believe.
Not good odds of survival. I suppose just keeping the best mannered roosters is the best option, and grow out the others (without caponizing) for butchering.

How old of  a bird are you talking about doing?  How much experience does the vet have w/ SUCSESSFUL caponizing?

I didn't go with them. I figure I would have just as good odds when I learn.
I was just trying to see if any local vets offer the service

Not good odds of survival.  I suppose just keeping the best mannered roosters is the best option, and grow out the others (without caponizing) for butchering.  

Janet I think that there would be way better odds if the vet had a lot of experience.

Decades back the local ag instructor caponed many local residents cockerals, my dad's included, my dad said he was able to make a lot of good money on them and the ag teacher didn't lose one on him.

Back
Top Bottom