Caponizing

I've found the best way to learn about caponizing is to use Google Books and read the literature from the early 1900's, which is largely in the public domain. A couple authors of interest are George Pilling, S. K. Burdin, and George Beouy.

It was done in ancient Rome and in China and was done a lot in medieval and renaissance Europe. There weren't any CornishX then! It is still practiced and accepted in France, where the capons (chapon) are often raised free-range using traditional methods. http://www.chaponnage.fr/Chaponnage.html

It's pretty rare in the US these days and the gourmet market has recently lost Wapsie Produce in Iowa, which used to the biggest commercial capon producer in the US. (business closed and processing plant was torn down last month). I'll post the links if anyone's interested.

The biggest risk to the bird is cutting the artery that lies "back" of the testicle. The sensation of pain in chickens is different than in mammals. One of the old-timers noted that a chicken freaks out when she's just being picked up to be moved to the henhouse or whatever but that a cockerel shows no response when the peritoneum (membrane covering intestines) is cut.

It's less rough on the bird when the person doing it is experienced. The old-time authors presented it as a trade-off of argumentative, scrapping roo's (with tough meat) vs. quiet capons with good meat. I've never eaten a capon, but on-the-hoof they are really sweet chickens that like to just hang out and enjoy the sunshine (before it gets %^&* hot).

I guarantee there's a learning curve!! This is like PoSc 305 (where PoultryScience 101 is raising chicks and collecting eggs and keeping raccoons out and PoSc 205 might be where chicken math hits and you're building a 2nd coop and some meatie pens).

It's _certainly_ NOT like brooding baby chicks where you can bring some little cuties home, keep 'em warm and fed and watered and they will probably survive if you take care of them _at all_ and listen to their peeping to see if they're hot or cold...... Nevertheless, a lot of ppl have problems even just rearing little fuzzies.....if someone can't take care of chicks they have no business trying this.

The problem is when so many of the little cuties develop little combs, macho stances, and that tell-tale roo stinkeye around 8-9 weeks......

The revival of traditional breeds that put on flesh more slowly than CornishX but range and survive better has brought this issue to the forefront.

In the old days in the big chicken-raising areas around Philadelphia and New York, good fast caponizers with low mortality rates would visit farms for a modest fee during late spring and summer. The farmers would get high prices for the capons during the holiday season.

The 1900-era literature I've seen indicates that capons will possibly brood chicks, but NOT eggs. Some of the sources recoommended waiting until the chicks were 2 weeks old before giving them to the capon. Once again, Google Books is your friend.....

The revival of traditional breeds that put on flesh more slowly than CornishX but range and survive better has brought this issue to the forefront.
?

Out of curiosity, wouldn't caponizing the birds make them a lot slower moving, and therefore more likely to fall to predators and so take away the benefits of using the slower growing and better free ranging birds

They're still good at free-ranging and gleaning grain that cows etc. drop on a general-purpose farm. Old-timer literature says this is a good way to raise capons with the last 2 weeks only in fattening pens. They're not lazy blobs like posters report CornishX to be.

They're more mellow and a LOT quieter than roosters and they basically just hang out and forage. They don't do well in the oh-so-social competition for the best roost spots in the henhouse.

In other words, in _chicken society_ they're not "popular" but they do fine at getting their food and avoiding danger as long as the chicken-keeper pays reasonable attention to keeping the %^&* raccoons away.

They need to be locked up at night the same way the hens in a henhouse do but they do fine sharing free-range with the girls.

I've found the best way to learn about caponizing is to use Google Books and read the literature from the early 1900's, which is largely in the public domain. A couple authors of interest are George Pilling, S. K. Burdin, and George Beouy.

It was done in ancient Rome and in China and was done a lot in medieval and renaissance Europe. There weren't any CornishX then! It is still practiced and accepted in France, where the capons (chapon) are often raised free-range using traditional methods. http://www.chaponnage.fr/Chaponnage.html

It's pretty rare in the US these days and the gourmet market has recently lost Wapsie Produce in Iowa, which used to the biggest commercial capon producer in the US. (business closed and processing plant was torn down last month). I'll post the links if anyone's interested.

The biggest risk to the bird is cutting the artery that lies "back" of the testicle. The sensation of pain in chickens is different than in mammals. One of the old-timers noted that a chicken freaks out when she's just being picked up to be moved to the henhouse or whatever but that a cockerel shows no response when the peritoneum (membrane covering intestines) is cut.

It's less rough on the bird when the person doing it is experienced. The old-time authors presented it as a trade-off of argumentative, scrapping roo's (with tough meat) vs. quiet capons with good meat. I've never eaten a capon, but on-the-hoof they are really sweet chickens that like to just hang out and enjoy the sunshine (before it gets %^&* hot).

I guarantee there's a learning curve!! This is like PoSc 305 (where PoultryScience 101 is raising chicks and collecting eggs and keeping raccoons out and PoSc 205 might be where chicken math hits and you're building a 2nd coop and some meatie pens).

It's _certainly_ NOT like brooding baby chicks where you can bring some little cuties home, keep 'em warm and fed and watered and they will probably survive if you take care of them _at all_ and listen to their peeping to see if they're hot or cold...... Nevertheless, a lot of ppl have problems even just rearing little fuzzies.....if someone can't take care of chicks they have no business trying this.

The problem is when so many of the little cuties develop little combs, macho stances, and that tell-tale roo stinkeye around 8-9 weeks......

In the old days in the big chicken-raising areas around Philadelphia and New York, good fast caponizers with low mortality rates would visit farms for a modest fee during late spring and summer. The farmers would get high prices for the capons during the holiday season.

The 1900-era literature I've seen indicates that capons will possibly brood chicks, but NOT eggs. Some of the sources recoommended waiting until the chicks were 2 weeks old before giving them to the capon. Once again, Google Books is your friend.....
WONDERFUL information!
Thank you!

I assisted with a caponizing session this morning. We have 5 out of 6 survivors. We tried some old tools from a Geo. Pilling set and they worked well for the most part. It's taken some research and tool searches on eBay to get this right.

Sorry no pics because my connection is iffy and the new BYC format is more trouble than it's worth.

FYI: 8-10-week-old cockerels' organs are about 1-cm or a bit less in size and light yellowish in color. We also had some free young roos (Craigslist) that were nearly adult and the biggest prize was WAY bigger than a Lima bean! They were about 1.25 inches long! The others were 0.5-0.75 inches long.

The cockerels and young roos were fasted for about 26 or 27 hours in wire cages on a picnic table that was washed down several times per day. This is so the intestines are empty and don't totally obscure everything.

If we had been producing capon for sale, we would have used 8-10-wk old cockerels. But when you get free young roos off Craigslist to learn how to do this, you can't necessarily choose their age...

Last edited:
I am going to get to observe the actual caponizing by someone who has been doing it for a while. I am going to photo document it for her, for a tutorial class she is working on in our area. I hope to learn enough to be able to do it myself so I can raise my own meat while living in town (no crowing). Good luck w/ your venture.

Interesting that she is thinking about teaching this!! AR isn't that far away LOL.

The only classes I know of corncerning caponizing currently are in Spain, China, and probably(?) France. I looked at the various websites and the classes involve the
basic anatomy and how to do it with the last few days being devoted to better accuracy (lower mortality and fewer 'slips') and increased speed.

The class in Spain (en espanol) ----- http://www.gallinaspuras.com/curso-capar/

Back in the early 1900's the promoters/tool sellers held demonstrations and classes. Of course, so many people had chickens then that the roo's were truly a widespread problem - and there was no CornishX yet.

Last edited:
Getting ready to go out to do the deed.
Wish me luck.
I don't know if I can get pictures or not, I am doing this alone. Hubby is at work and kids at school. Boys have fasted for 36 hours, water only. They are getting hungry.
I have 4 to try. An Ameraucana with a single comb (easy choice), Buckeye/Cornish cross, Black Marans, and an EE/Orpington who looks pretty good sized already.
Here goes.

Back
Top Bottom