Capons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I prefer to do them rather young, about the time they get thier wing feathers and have a pretty good start in life. Some wait longer as the larger they are the more room you have to work with. My prefrance is young, but well started.

Quote:
I prefer to do them rather young, about the time they get thier wing feathers and have a pretty good start in life. Some wait longer as the larger they are the more room you have to work with. My prefrance is young, but well started.

So, would that be about 6 weeks? 8? Older? Younger? The age they are when I can definitely tell males from females, varies depending on the breed/breed mix. I guess this would be a good reason to breed sex-links. My own mutt birds are hard to I.D., while very young.

I'm not sure I ever want to do this at all, I've never liked the idea, but I might try it on a bird we've slaughtered, before cleaning it, to see how hard it is to do. I wonder how effective a shot of lidocaine in the right spot would be, or if chickens would tolerate it ok. Kinda hard to tell just how much a chicken feels.

Oh, I see I got your name wrong, sorry!

I don't even own a calander, I watch the birds, and when they are starting to feather, thats when I do it. I use the needle on a string method of sexing and it works for me.

Quote:
I don't want to ask but what is the needle on a string method?

Does it have something to do with opening and then sewing up hens?
hide.gif

I think it is like dowsing for water except you are trying to determine gender.

Have you ever found that the needle and the string are incorrect? Also what about the fake fingernails and the v? I do not own the book so therefore can not look that method up. One can google capon and get the Sears information of how to but nothing about a v cut fake fingernail....so I am wondering how you do yours?

Hi, all,

There's lots of things in this thread I'd like to hear more about!

"Needle and string" sexing - caponizing with a false fingernail - how large the chicks should be for the process to be easy...

I'd love to learn to caponize, but first have to be sure that I'm not trying it on a girl.

I've read that it's a very delicate procedure because there is some major blood vessel right near the testes. Seems like good instructions, and very good illustrations / photos of each step of the process would be helpful.

Has anyone used either the kit , or the caponizing book (I think this is iajewel's Loyl Stromberg book) sold by McMurray's, and what did you think of it?

Best - exop

Last edited:
iajewel,

Please,please, give us more information on exactly how you caponize. I really want to try this, but would feel better if I had step by step instructions.

Do you have a caponizing kit?
What instruments/materials do you use exactly?
What is the oldest age you would still feel okay about caponizing?
Have you ever opened a female on accident? If so, what did you do then?

And finally, what in the world is the needle and string method of sexing?

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Finally someone who has actually done it and knows how.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom