Carboard as insulation?

In this case I'm building a rabbit hutch with a little run that is like a chicken tractor, but with the idea that I'll learn from it for any chicken tractors I may be interested in next spring for breeding, etc. If things get too horribly frigid, I'll bring the rabbit inside, but mostly I just want to cut some of the cold, and offer a little more protection from heat than what I had this summer. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I had to stop and wait for more scrap pieces of sheeting from the coop we're building, so I still haven't finished this hutch, but I'm finally getting somewhere with it again. I'll try packing some pine shavings around the packing peanuts to provide a bit more insulation. I'm not too concerned about the fire issue, since I probably won't get around to adding the light for heat this winter. If it really gets that cold, we'll deal with him inside for a few days/weeks again--I'd just rather not, lol.

Cardboard doesn't offer much insulation but, may stop drafts. When I had rabbits I put their cages in areas of the yard that offered shade all day (Summer Time).

I insulated a dog house with dried (fall) white oak leaves before which kept the dog very warm.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom