Cardboard and compost

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Hello, I am starting a new batch of compost, my last one was beautiful and am growing bee feed (flower mixes good for wild bees) in it. Can I use cardboard as browns? I will try and use some sticks, but I am weirded out how the first time I ever did composting the cardboard didn't really break down, it just turned black-ish and was easy to break apart but that was about it. Should I use it this time? What do you guys think?

Hello, I am starting a new batch of compost, my last one was beautiful and am growing bee feed (flower mixes good for wild bees) in it. Can I use cardboard as browns? I will try and use some sticks, but I am weirded out how the first time I ever did composting the cardboard didn't really break down, it just turned black-ish and was easy to break apart but that was about it. Should I use it this time? What do you guys think?
I might avoid cardboard because of the risk of contaminants from the recycling and creation process. it's not all wood pulp in there. there are binders and other chemical agents you may not want to introduce to your compost heap.

Up to you, and I don't want to freak you out, but personally I will not compost cardboard.

Burn it? All day.

I might avoid cardboard because of the risk of contaminants from the recycling and creation process. it's not all wood pulp in there. there are binders and other chemical agents you may not want to introduce to your compost heap.

Up to you, and I don't want to freak you out, but personally I will not compost cardboard.

Burn it? All day.
I might just burn it then. is the ash leftover safe for the garden?

Back
Top Bottom