Cardboard as temporary sheathing?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tenderkat, Dec 2, 2009.

1. tenderkat

tenderkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I know this is late in the season, but I have spent the last month scrounging up used/salvaged materials to finish off my coop interior. Just in time for our coldsnap, I have gotten some used faced fiberglass batts. I can't get anything to sheath it until the weekend, so I am hoping to use cardboard stapled over the studs, as a temporary distraction against my girls eating the insulation. Okay to do this?

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    That would do fine for a few days no problem.

AL

3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Should work ok for just a short time.....
    Watch the chickens and check to be sure they aren't pecking it daily.

4. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

They may or may not eat it...
    I haven't had anyone eat plastic yet though FYI... but I have had many eat cardboard.

5. tenderkat

That's funny..........when I've gone out to feed my girls bread pieces, Helen goes after the plastic bags. She could care less about the bread!!

Hopefully, I won't have any carboard eaters!!

6. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    I got a whole flock o'cardboard-eaters!

7. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Interesting, mine don't touch the cardboard. These little critters are just fascinating.

8. tenderkat

Speaking of insulation...............does it really matter how neatly I put the stuff into the cavities? Since I'm dealing with used stuff, and freezing hands, I am hoping to be able to fit it in as snug as possible, but I don't want to have to worry about stapling it to the studs perfectly and such. I know this might diminish the R-Value, but after I sheath it, won't it be better than nothing?

9. B'villechicken

B'villechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Syracuse NY Area
    Just don't leave gaps. For a coop, piecemealing it would be fine. It does not have to be stapled as long as it does not slip to the bottom of the cavity.

10. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:If there are chicken inspectors who come around and look to see how neatly you've insulated your coop, keep them away from me!! Of course, whatever you do will be better than nothing... I wouldn't worry about it.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by