Cardboard Vs Styrofoam

Cardboard cartons can let air circulate, so I think they should be better than styrofoam, except for the bacteria issue. Since they are porous, it's easier for dirt to get in and harbor germs. And then in a warm, moist environment like an incubator you could end up with problems. If this hasn't happened to anyone, then it must not be an issue and I'll shut up!

I'm incubating for the first time ever, and I don't want to hurt the little babies.

Quote:
I also like the cardboard ones better, but given the particular way he is using them, I thought the styrofoam ones would have less impact on his humidity. ???? Maybe not.

And, that's interesting about cutting a hole in the bottom. I hadn't heard that before. It's too late for this hatch, but I'll do it for the next.....How big? Dime size? Just a knitting needle worth?

Susan

I cut about a quarter sized hole in the bottom. I have never had a problem with using a cardboard carton and humidity. Before I use it I mist the carton with brinsea incubation disinfectant, which kills germs. I only use the carton once.

I only use cardboard, have never had a problem with them, after the hatch I just throw everything in the burn barrel.
I use a piece of old conduit as a hole punch which gives me about a 1/2 inch hole. of course I do everything on the cheap..
My bator is an old freezer which has room for 60 eggs per rack and I have 3 racks so I hatch a rack a week.
Don in Spiro

Back
Top Bottom