Carefresh in brooder?

chickers

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 18, 2012
Gold Country California
I've read both pros and cons to using pine shavings in the brooder. My new chicks just came today and I put Carefresh in their brooder. (Carefresh is recycled but not bleached paper meant as litter for small animals.)

I'm debating whether it's a good idea in the brooder though since I'm seeing them peck at it. They've found their food and have been eating that, but as they walk around their enclosure they also peck at the substrate. Should I change to pine?

I've read both pros and cons to using pine shavings in the brooder. My new chicks just came today and I put Carefresh in their brooder. (Carefresh is recycled but not bleached paper meant as litter for small animals.)

I'm debating whether it's a good idea in the brooder though since I'm seeing them peck at it. They've found their food and have been eating that, but as they walk around their enclosure they also peck at the substrate. Should I change to pine?
I'm no expert, but I HAVE used carefresh for small animals like rats, mice and hamsters. I found it to be wonderful for them, environmentally sound, and never had an issue at all. It is far more expensive than plain old pine shavings, but I don't see a problem with it.

I don't see a problem with carefresh... other than the cost! That stuff is not cheap. Have also used it with rodents, but the 10 cubic feet of expanded white shavings costs less than the small bag of carefresh at the pet store which I think is half a cubic foot. Perhaps if you bought it in large quantities it would be significantly cheaper.

Right now my main concern is if it is safe. The chicks were pecking at it a little when I first put them on it, but now they seem to be eating it.

I think I'm going to shift over to pine before I go to bed.

I put Carefresh in my brooder today. My chicks are 5 days old. I used puppy training pads for the first few days so they can be able to identify what their food is.

I tried putting them on the Carefresh briefly on the first day, and the same thing happened...they were pecking at it and eating it.

It's better be safe than sorry. I would put them on some puppy pads or paper towels for the first few days and then try the Carefresh or Pine, both are safe. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom