Cargo containers.

Ray5809

Hatching
Aug 1, 2020
Will a used cargo container make a good chicken coop. I am planning on a 8’ x 20’. Will cut out windows. Use small chicken wire for windows and install chicken wire with a door in the opening.
This will make an inexpensive coop.
How many Rhode Island Red laying hen can I have. Will have a large fenced in yard 2,000 sf.

Chicken wire is a big no- it is really not predator proof at all, and it is much better to use 1/2 or 1/4 inch hardware cloth.
If you FULLY, and I mean FULLY, maximize your space, you could have 35 laying hens. However, they'd be much more comfortable as 25. For 35, you'd need 35 linear feet of roost space, and 9 nesting boxes.

All above sound advice
More sqft is better when it comes to cleaning. If you go less space and run on the tight end they will poo your bedding up alot faster, youll use more bedding, & eggs will be dirty. Then issues with air quality, ammonia levels, & disease.

I'm assuming your doing this as a business. Just think happy health birds lay more.

It would require extensive modification -- primarily the addition of a MINIMUM of 1 square foot of ventilation per bird. (The best way to judge if your ventilation is adequate is to enter the coop on a hot, sunny day. If it's warmer in than out you need to add more ventilation). But I'm sure it's possible.

Chicken wire is great at keeping chickens in, but it will not keep raccoons, coyotes, stray dogs, and many other common predators out.

The usual guidelines are as follows, for each adult bird you need:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run,
1 linear foot of roost space
1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation (windows closed in the winter and the pop door closed at night don't count).

Commercial-style intensive management -- including such things as debeaking and the use of mechanical ventilation -- can reduce some of these numbers but the place to get advice on this would be your local ag extension. :)

Speaking of local, where are you? You can add your general location to your profile to help us give better targeted advice.

You will need to cut out several places for ventilation and then cover them with hardware cloth. Instead of the roll up door, you could frame in a man door and additional windows unless your climate allows for that entire side to be covered in hardware cloth. You could even build a six foot high wall inside that would block the wind if you left that end open, but allow for ventilation over their heads where they roost. Basically, the wall would act as a baffle. Put the roost behind the wall and give them access to the entire container. I have thought about this myself. I think it could work with modifications. You could also look into a small exhaust fan to move moist air out.

20210219_052159.jpg
I'm not much of an artist, but this gives an idea what I was talking about. Wall is 6ft long and 6ft high. Windows on all sides with permanent ventilation above them. Front side is fully open except for man door.

Back
Top Bottom