Caring for Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by NickGT, Nov 20, 2019.

1. NickGT

NickGT In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2018
    Hey, I’m new to geese I’m planning on getting a pair of Sebastopol geese pretty soon and I was wondering what are some helpful tips anyone can give me. I’m wanting to integrate them with my silkies if that is a good idea, I’ve read that geese primarily eat grass so what’s a good substitute in the winter for them to eat and lastly when are they sexually mature. Thanks.

DiYMama540 likes this.
  2. bluemerle

bluemerle Songster

Aug 11, 2018
    Northern Nevada
    You could buy some barley or wheat seed & grow fodder for them, if that's something that interests you. It's a great substitute & keeps them busy & is decently affordable/easy. Lots of good threads about it here on BYC!

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Sebastopols are insane chewers. I highly recommend not housing them with chickens of any kind. Especially a breed that can't fly up and out of reach like Silkies. They should be on an all flock, game bird, or waterfowl feed year round. They will graze in the months when grass is available and eat less feed. They are mature at around 10 months old and are seasonal layers. Here in the midwest mine start laying in mid February and are done by the first week of April.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Mary Did You Know....

:goodpost:

DiYMama540 and ColtHandorf like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: