Caring for "out of season" hatched chicks that are rejected

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vivi, Nov 4, 2014.

1. vivi

vivi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2014
    vivi

Great day, the little chickie now has longer feathers coming out on the wings, isn't chirping as loudly nor seemingly painfully as it were. The vent is not swollen and it is obvious that there is a little slit in it. It must have been sucked in (gads) or something. The Neosporin with benzocaine worked great. It slept almost all the way through the night too. Thing is this little chick may be a mix of meat bird and americanauna because it cannot be satiated. It eats and eats and eats. Today I tried a bit of the wet/canned cat food and a bit of the wet/canned dog food. I have some natural dog food chunks soaking in water (I use filtered water - Brita). I cut a grape in half (to which it hasn't shown any interest) as my hens are absolutely cluck cluck over grapes. I'm not concerned that it eats too much at all but rather it stay healthy and survives. I'm hopeful it is a cockerel but it doesn't matter. When we were appointed as caretakers of all the creatures, great and small, on this planet, I personally took it to heart. My kids had every creature they could study for a time and even when fishing (girls or fish), it is "catch & release" for us all. My son who brought me the chick thinks I've done a bit too much and that this [project] has restricted my personal affairs - which it has to a degree - although in some, small way, the satisfaction knowing that I've contributed to a life on this planet is more than enough for me. We don't pick our pets, they pick us. We are to be caretakers of every single creature among us. I do tend to dispose of deadly spiders and other noxious, potentially harmful things either by relocation or containment until . . . even feeding a black widow so the children could observe and avoid. I have a small poster on the fridge with the local deadly spider illustrations and captions for anyone to see. Not sure where I'm going with this but happy to be able to post questions and find answers to some of the more complex issues that plague us when caretaking chickens. My chickens have literally kept me alive with eggs when I had no food so I dig worms almost daily, at least try. I garden and maintain waters throughout the yard, preferring stainless steel and place a clean rock in each bowl so honey bees don't drown. I refresh the water every day in the summer and [whenever] in the frozen winter but keep a few clean, fresh and full throughout the winter. I have few bugs in my yard so have no need for pesticides nor chemicals. The chickens even eat the mice after the dog digs them up. Thanks everyone for your kind comments and helpful suggestions. May every day be a marvelous work and wonder for you too. vii dii

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by