Caring for poults

PekinBantam

Songster
8 Years
My turkey hen, Giselle, hatched seven poults yesterday. I was wondering if they need any special requirements. We have fireants here, so I was wondering if that would be an issue. Also, do they need a different food to adult turkeys? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Game Bird Starter 28%-30% protein. Are the poults and hen in an area separated from other birds (unobstructed availability of feed/water)?
I'd not let them get anywhere near the Fire Ant nests (or have the hen march them off past the nests) until they're three or four weeks old; there are less `fiery' species of ant that will also make a meal of little poults.

Last edited:
Game Bird Starter 28%-30% protein. Are the poults and hen in an area separated from other birds (unobstructed availability of feed/water)?
I'd not let them get anywhere near the Fire Ant nests (or have the hen march them off past the nests) until they're three or four weeks old; there are less `fiery' species of ant that will also make a meal of little poults.

We try to keep them away, but there are a lot of ants' nests. Yes, they are separated from the chickens. The only other poultry they come into contact with is their dad. Thanks for the advice.

Nice pics, wish I could post mine but dont have adpter for camera. Our Bourban reds have atleast 10 little ones and more hatching.

She looks like my standard bronze. What is the tom?

Your poults look soooo cute!!!

Mine are due to hatch this very soon, fingers crossed as this is our first time brooding in an incubator. We started out with 8 eggs.
Candling at 7 days - couldnt tell if anything was happening.
day 14 however we saw definate dark mass and an air space.
today I checked them before 'lock-down' and the air spaces are much bigger.

I am excited ;-)

Back
Top Bottom