Carport for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by clevet, Sep 23, 2011.

1. clevet

clevet New Egg

Jun 2, 2009
    I'm considering screening in a carport like this one and using it for a coop/run.
    I live in a hot humid climate, thought the chickens would appreciate the air flow
    Any thoughts on this....good idea or bad?
    thanks, Claude
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I've considered that too. I think it's a fabulous idea. Another I came across recently is using an old hard shell camper trailer, gut the insides and let the games begin. If i had access to an old abandoned school bus.....oh yea.

3. putty

putty Out Of The Brooder

I use one as a run, it worked out great for me, I covered the sides with canvas to get a little more shade since I took this picture
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  4. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Claude, I think it would work great. Just be sure to use a heavy gauge wire to keep bad guys out. Good luck and show us some pics when finished.
    Erik

5. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it's a FABULOUS idea!!! [​IMG] I've seen others make coops out of carports- it's not a new idea. I think it would be perfect for your area. Do you have the carport yet? Can't wait to see it started!

And Putty-- I've seen your coop/run before (when you posted a while back) and think it is just brilliant! It looks really charming, too!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  6. clevet

clevet New Egg

Jun 2, 2009
    Thanks everyone, I'll post photos when done......Putty, what kind of wire did you use?
    Claude, Hammond Louisiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by