carriers please!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RockyPhoenix, Jan 30, 2011.

1. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    I am taking twice as many birds to fair this year as I did last year and I need a better way to transport them than using cat cages. If you have pictures or cheap ways to make carriers please post them! Thanks! [​IMG]

2. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    I came across a 3 cage carrier (might have been4) built on a hand cart. Can't find the article or picture now, but I will try to describe it. Use a handcart that stands about 4 feet or more. To the base attach a 2' square of plywood firmly, to provide a base to bolt the first wire cage. I would guess the cage should be 15"x15"x15". Place the cage so that the opening is facing you when you are standing facing the upright dolly. Securely wire the cage to the dolly handle. Attach 2 more cages, securing each tightly having all three cage doors facing forward. Your now have a tower of 3 cages on wheels. You can tilt the dolly to move the cages, and when they are at the show, you can lay the dolly on its back, so that the cages are now side by side with the openings in the top. The chickens can poop as they are wont and not soil each other. I hope that makes sense. This would work best if you could make your cages so they can be sized to fit the dolly. What I liked when I saw it was that I could move them as a unit, just sliding the dolly into the back to the trailer or car and blocking it so it didn't slide.
    Hope this helps

3. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    i cant seem to find any other carriers anywhere can someone help me out???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by