1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Carrot Tops

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tdub4chiks, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Has anyone put carrot tops in water to let grow so their chickens can have the greens in the winter time? Will they eat them?

2. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I don't know if they will eat them, but not a bad idea.

3. sunnyvera

sunnyvera Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    NE Ohio
    On carrot tops - my girls ADORE them. They wiped out two rows of carrots I had in the garden - I never thought about the tops. Now I have a two rows of sticks. They will eat them down in a second.

4. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Thanks, I have 5 lbs of carrots I think I will cut the tops off & stick into a dish to grow. If they don't eat them, maybe the deer or wild turkeys will enjoy them.

5. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Before our recent killing freezes, my chickens got a large fist full (20 or so) of carrots every couple days that I yanked out of the ground. They devoured the tops in about 5 minutes. The carrots would be picked at over the rest of the day.

6. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Before our recent killing freezes, my chickens got a large fist full (20 or so) of carrots every couple days that I yanked out of the ground. They devoured the tops in about 5 minutes. The carrots would be picked at over the rest of the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by